Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello gentlemen,

I was wondering on how to sell suits on Ebay.

I find the website is quite confusing, as I am used to the more canadian version of Ebay, Kijiji.

How do people pay, with Paypal?

I live in Canada, is shipping gonna be a problem?

In your experience, what are the suits that sell well on Ebay, are they only BB or is there a good quantity of bespoke being sold?

Even If you can only provide answers to one or two of these questions, it'll be appreciated if you do so.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Îm saying bespoke as the suits I own were bespoke, maybe I don't have the correct word, but it was made by a tailor to fit someone specifically therefore there is no brand logo on the jacket, meaning I can't sell the brand, I have to sell the jacket

·
Partner / Administrator
1,810 Posts
@AlexandreTheYoungMan - The eBay platform, from a Selling pov, can be confusing/overwhelming at first. But, you'll get used to it.

I spent 15 months working as a Consultant at eBay (now 11 years ago -- wow), was responsible for building out the billing part of their App platform, and always found the seller interface a bit confusing.

To answer your questions, as a seller based in Canada, selling to people outside of Canada:

1. eBay offers several different payment options, including PayPal, Credit Card, and some others. I haven't sold anything on eBay for some time, so I don't recall if the Seller can choose which payment methods to accept.

2. An eBay seller can ship items using the service of their choosing, but it's important for the seller to set expectations for buyers (shipping times, applicable duties, etc.). So, for example, if you decide to use Canada Post to ship an item to a buyer in the USA, you just need to set the proper expectations.

3. To sell an item, there will be a few fees that you will pay related to selling the item, as well as processing the payment. Make sure you look into those fees so you know what to expect, and price your items accordingly.

As far what to sell, or how your custom/bespoke suits will sell, that I cannot answer.

For everything someone wants to sell, there IS a prospective buyer, even if the item being sold is a bespoke suit made for someone else.

The only way to know whether or not it will sell, will be to give it a try.

Some of our members are also eBay sellers, so maybe someone like @TweedyDon can provide some insight into selling on eBay.

Lastly, we do allow members to sell their clothing/footwear items either in our Deals/Steals (Sales) or Trad Thrift Store Exchange forums. If it's a traditional suit, you could list your item in Deals/Steals first and see what happens.

·
Registered
473 Posts
And pleae, PLEASE, list a lot of measurements. It's pretty surprising how many high volume suit/jacket sellers that list only, say, "52L" or "44R" and nothing else.
Used suits/jacket may have been altered (as frequently done by AAAC members) and even new jackets can vary a lot within the 'standard' size tag.

If I see a listing without at least chest, waist, sleeve and overall length for jackets, I don't even consider it - too much trouble sending back and forth if the fit is wrong.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
There are plenty of eBay sellers on tof. Check out the buying and selling on eBay thread there. But for quick reference good Measurements and lots of well lit pictures help. If you are selling stuff as in bespoke like Anderson and Sheppard then they can do well. Lesser known tailors will take more time and most likely sell for less. Maybe quite a bit less. Today’s environment is not a great one for CM stuff as very few men wear suits anymore. But quality can still do well especially if recent and Saville row. I wish you luck. You should try an eBay search for your tailors name and remember to only used sold listings as anyone can list things for prices at which they never sell. If you want to show us some pics we can try and get you a better idea.

Reactions: iam.mike

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
I have sold on eBay and find it hit or miss. High dollar specialty items do well but mid grade items tend to linger and have a lot of competition. I have found that taking my items to a consignment shop has resulted in bigger returns with no mailing or customer service required.

Cheers,

BSR

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.