Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a lambswool scarf for a few years now and really enjoy the look/feel of it. However, the edges are starting to fray and I periodically need to snip some loose threads from the edges. I have heard of using an anti fray liquid that works like a glue and prevents further fraying. However I believe it dries hard and won't be flexible enough for a scarf that is regularly folded up. Does anyone have a suggestion (other than buying a new scarf)?

· Registered
1,213 Posts
I have had a lambswool scarf for a few years now and really enjoy the look/feel of it. However, the edges are starting to fray and I periodically need to snip some loose threads from the edges. I have heard of using an anti fray liquid that works like a glue and prevents further fraying. However I believe it dries hard and won't be flexible enough for a scarf that is regularly folded up. Does anyone have a suggestion (other than buying a new scarf)?
You might need to have someone stitch it so the threads don't come loose. Any competent seamstress can make an invisible stitch that will help.

· Registered
2,568 Posts
Perhaps I'm in the minority but I find a bit of fraying adds character to a scarf :)

That said, I think the key element of scarf-care is to never toss and drape them about, but to fold it when you take it off; if already frayed, though, I definitely would NOT apply "anti-fraying glue"... that would be like the tip of a shoelace?

I'd ask Santa for a new one!

DH

· Premium Member
6,508 Posts
Does anyone have a suggestion (other than buying a new scarf)?
So I'm not allowed to tell you to just buy a new scarf,? They're all over Poshmark, Etsy, Mercari and eBay for little or nothing.

Okay, I accept the prohibition. The fray stopping glue to which you refer is called FreyCheck. It does leave a hard edge and it also tends to turn white when dry. I will use it on areas that don't show. Do you have a basic idea of how to hand sew? There's something called a blanket stitch which is done as the name implies on the edges of wool blankets to stop fraying. It's not difficult to do, but it's time consuming. I use it around the edges of a new button hole because I have little idea of how or time to make a true button hole. It works, it stops the fraying. There's probably a YouTube for it, and you can learn how in about 2 minutes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts