Men's Clothing Forums banner

How to get rid of musty smell?

1892 Views 17 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  AldenPyle
I have a sport coat that smells a bit musty from long-term storage. This afternoon I took it to a reputable local cleaner and was advised that dry cleaning wouldn't necessarily resolve the odor issue, but as we all know it could beat up the fabric. Any suggestions on how to make it smell fresher?
1 - 2 of 18 Posts
If you have a clothes steamer, you could try steaming the garment after you hang it out in the air. Steam is usually effective for straightening out wrinkles and for freshening a garment. And it contains no chemicals that are harmful to clothes, unlike the solutions used for dry cleaning. If all this fails, you could then try dry cleaning as a last resort.

Lightly spraying the jacket with a mild air freshener (like Febreze perhaps?) might help alleviate the musty odor. It may be worth a try.
Reactions: 1
The garment in question is an old-stock Oakloom cashmere from O'Connell's. I'm a bit leery of applying anything to the coat directly as it's irreplaceable, assuming you're serious of course.
Have you called O'Connell's and talked about this jacket with Ethan or John? I am sure they could give you some good advice on how to remove the musty smell, or, at the very least, on what sorts of procedures might be safe to try out.
Reactions: 1
1 - 2 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.