Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
assuming a well-built peacoat (i just bought a Schott at a surplus store) are there any steps to caring to ensure longevity?
Congratulations. The mil-spec article is practically indestructible. With occasional brushing (and mothproof storage in the warmer months) it'll serve for generations. Mine, acquired in 1965, is still more than presentable.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
How to ensure your peacoat lasts "a lifetime":

(a) When you aren't wearing it, hang it in a canvas coat bag. Using duct tape, seal any openings (grommets, slits) at the top of the bag to keep out moths.

(b) Brush it off after each use.

(c) Don't let anyone borrow it. Ever.

(d) Never wear it while drinking, or near anyone who is drinking.

(c) Do not wave it in front of an enraged bull. Use a proper cape.

(d) Store it in a moth-proof box. Open it on your 98th birthday as your gift to yourself. The coat will last you the rest of your life.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
How to ensure your peacoat lasts "a lifetime":

(a) When you aren't wearing it, hang it in a canvas coat bag. Using duct tape, seal any openings (grommets, slits) at the top of the bag to keep out moths.

(b) Brush it off after each use.

(c) Don't let anyone borrow it. Ever.

(d) Never wear it while drinking, or near anyone who is drinking.

(c) Do not wave it in front of an enraged bull. Use a proper cape.

(d) Store it in a moth-proof box. Open it on your 98th birthday as your gift to yourself. The coat will last you the rest of your life.
Nothing to add here except perhaps cryogenics.

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
Sure! Put it into an opaque cloth garment bag with a few moth balls and never unzip it again! :D

But truly, the member's response below is closer to the truth. You're likely to wear out the lining before harming that cloth.

Semi-protective for knife fights, but not recommended for pistol duels! ;)

Congratulations. The mil-spec article is practically indestructible. With occasional brushing (and mothproof storage in the warmer months) it'll serve for generations. Mine, acquired in 1965, is still more than presentable.
Edit: Oh! And stop eating!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Agree with all the after-wear care. In addition, after the season is over, I follow my mom's practice of turning the coat inside out, expose it under early summer sun for a day. The UV rays in the sunlight kill everything and it gives a clean fresh smell of summer. Then I hang it up in a sealed cloth cover bag with a few moth balls in the bag. This is I believe the most economic way to store winter wool coat. I don't use dry cleaning for wool coat. After a few years' wearing, I will put the coat in a bathtub of lukewarm water with baby shampoo as detergent for a gentle squeeze bath. Then use bath towel to wrap it up and press the water out. Then lay it flat to let it dry as much as possible before put it out under the sun for air drying.
With such care, my peacoat is still as presentable as day one after 20 years. I wear it almost every weekend during winter and it is my go-to coat for jeans, chinos, and casual winter pants.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.