Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am new to this forum. I just bought a pair of marsell derbies in vegetable tanned leather. When I informed at Marsell they told me to use little products, only beeswax to make it somewhat water repellent. However, on the internet I read that people advice to use a conditioner on a regular basis and finish of with wax. Today I have conditioned my shoes with Saphir Renovateur and finished with Saphir Everest wax. It made the leather significantly darker and the surface of the shoes remained tacky even the day after.
Do you have tips/tricks how to care for this type of shoes?
How should the wax be applied to prevent the surface of the shoe to remain sticky?
How often should I repeath this procedure (little afraid of the darkening as I liked the lighter color of the shoes more ...). Thanks for your advice !

·
Registered
653 Posts
Saphir Evervest is dubbin and is meant for waterproofing outdoor footwear such as hiking boots and not shoes. It's not bad for shoes but if you want shiny shoes it not a good choice. It's great if you want dry feet. It also darken leather.

Too get rid of that "tacky" finish you need to put the shoes near a heat source such as a radiator. When I dubbin my boots I heat the oven to 180 degrees, turn the oven off, and leave the boots in a few hours. The heat relaxes the leather and allows the dubbin to be absorbed by the leather.

I'd forego the Everest dubbin in the future and use the Saphir Renovatuer to polish your shoes as needed. Use Saphir Cream Polish if your shoes are scuffed or if the color needs to be renewed.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.