Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our store owner gives us a house-charge credit every year as a bonus, and while this years is a little skinnier than in the past, I can still get a couple of suits, some ties, and a new pair of shoes. I've picked out the suits, (2B darted in Charcoal and a black-on-black stripe), and I've got my eye on a couple of Talbott BOC, but I need some input on the shoes:

AE Walden or Alden LHS? The AE is definitely cheaper, and the Alden will take forever to get here, but what do you think?

I'll be wearing them as around the town shoes, for casual and semi-casual wear.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
I'd go with the Alden. You can add the AE any time for a reasonable price. Alden on the other hand are a long-time investment that takes quite a bit more effort up front. For that reason they are less likely to appear in your wardrobe without specific intention.

That's just me. Take it with a grain of salt, since I'd definitely leave the black on black in the store.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Buy stock. More trad than excessive consumption.
Hmmm, I'm not so sure.

**As a child of the 80s-90s I often questioned my family's investment style of what Gordon Gecko referred to as "widows and idiot sons" (low risk debt instruments, gold, etc.). As a more typical American in my 30s, I have a majority of capital in blue chips and recently bought my first rapidly depreciating house. My brother (easily recognizable on this forum) is literally sitting on a mound of gold bullion.

While hosting our first Thansksgiving, my ever-wise father asked my brother "what would you pay for this foreclosed propertly?". Humorous, insightful, and very scary all at the same time. For all that is said here, I thought of this moment as "trad" (I still really despise that word).

In any case, I would use a bonus for something that you wouldn't spring for otherwise. Any step up in quality is a good choice - if you've never owned any J.Press (as I've ssen from other posts) go for it!! You need to spread the word about the value of hook vents, etc.

**Modestly inebriated so this story will likely be deemed worthless to most.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Gentlemen,

I know it is tempting to completely ignore someone's question and tell them what you think they should do, but here you have missed an integral part of the query.

Our store owner gives us a house-charge credit every year as a bonus
However, if anyone DOES have a broker that will allow them to swap store-credit-for-stock, please let me know. I've got a JC Penney gift card that I'd love to put into the market right about now.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
recently bought my first rapidly depreciating house.
Unless you bought on Staten Island you must be the only one in the city limits who has a depreciated home. I've owned a small apt in suburban Brooklyn for 3 years and even I'm up 10% - 20%.

OPer, I'd get the Aldens.

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Gentlemen,

I know it is tempting to completely ignore someone's question and tell them what you think they should do, but here you have missed an integral part of the query.

However, if anyone DOES have a broker that will allow them to swap store-credit-for-stock, please let me know. I've got a JC Penney gift card that I'd love to put into the market right about now.
Powerfull sorry, I didn't realize that. I thought the OP was looking for sage advice (worth every penny you pay).

In this case, I have no idea how the OP can accomplish his goal.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Buy stock. More trad than excessive consumption.
I got out of the stock buying business about 9 months ago when I moved my entire portfolio into money market instruments. As I've watched the market take a serious swan dive, I'm glad I've got the cash squirreled away to hopefully make it through what should be a retched 1st quarter of 2009 for us retail commission salesman.

As a side note, I'm not usually much for excessive consumption, but I wear suits 6 days a week and recently lost about 30 pounds. Not much in the closet fits too well, and I've never turned down free clothes.

I think I'll get the Aldens, and instead of two suits, just one, and I'll upgrade the shoes to shell.

Oh, and if my cash runs out before our spring sale in April, I should have a hell of a pair of shoes for sale in the thrift forum! :icon_smile_wink:

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hmmm, I'm not so sure.

**As a child of the 80s-90s I often questioned my family's investment style of what Gordon Gecko referred to as "widows and idiot sons" (low risk debt instruments, gold, etc.). As a more typical American in my 30s, I have a majority of capital in blue chips and recently bought my first rapidly depreciating house. My brother (easily recognizable on this forum) is literally sitting on a mound of gold bullion.

While hosting our first Thansksgiving, my ever-wise father asked my brother "what would you pay for this foreclosed propertly?". Humorous, insightful, and very scary all at the same time. For all that is said here, I thought of this moment as "trad" (I still really despise that word).

In any case, I would use a bonus for something that you wouldn't spring for otherwise. Any step up in quality is a good choice - if you've never owned any J.Press (as I've ssen from other posts) go for it!! You need to spread the word about the value of hook vents, etc.

**Modestly inebriated so this story will likely be deemed worthless to most.
Well said!

Gecko made a lot of money, but at least you're family's investment strategy didn't lead to any jail time, or loss of self-respect!:icon_smile_wink:

As a very unconventional guy in my late 20's I've endured a lot of crap from my coworkers over the years about my (relatively) frugal lifestyle and very conservative financial attitude (I worked for New York Life when I was in college the first time). Not too many people are laughing now.

I like the advice though, I wouldn't normally buy Alden's (especially not with a baby on the way), but since I can't swap the credit for cash (thanks videocrew) I'll live a little.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.