Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This from Jon Deboise, City Head Cutter -

"Only dry clean your suit once a year. In between, opt for a sponge steam and press. The dry cleaning process strips the wool of its natural oils meaning the cloth will shine. The process also reduces the natural life of the cloth."

I thought this of broader general interest, also very specific and from a source that should be considered irreproachable on the subject. Has quite a few other things to say here -

https://www.cadandthedandy.co.uk/2016/08/10/the-golden-rules-of-bespoke-tailoring/

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
Nine months of wear. Never twice in a row. Dry clean. Put away for three months (out of season). Nine months of... etc. Round and round it goes until worn out or doesn't fit. If the wife does not like it forget the first nine months.

·
Registered
6,593 Posts
My entire wardrobe from underwear and socks, to sports coats and suits dates from 2013 onward.

Items get worn 4-6 times a year. The coats spend most of their day draped over my chair, and the trousers are covered by my lab coat. The only part that touches my skin are the trouser legs below my boxer-briefs and they are lined to the knee.

So all in all they lead a pretty sheltered life. A few sports coats and trousers have been to the cleaners after getting soiled, no suit has been there yet.

Perhaps it's time to bring the whole shebang in for a cleaning and pressing. Do the Spring/Summer now, and the Fall/Winter after Easter.

I can just imagine the look on my dry cleaner's face when I bring that whole hoard in. She's used to seeing 90 shirts at a time every quarter, but not tailored clothing.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
My entire wardrobe from underwear and socks, to sports coats and suits dates from 2013 onward.

Items get worn 4-6 times a year. The coats spend most of their day draped over my chair, and the trousers are covered by my lab coat. The only part that touches my skin are the trouser legs below my boxer-briefs and they are lined to the knee.

So all in all they lead a pretty sheltered life. A few sports coats and trousers have been to the cleaners after getting soiled, no suit has been there yet.

Perhaps it's time to bring the whole shebang in for a cleaning and pressing. Do the Spring/Summer now, and the Fall/Winter after Easter.

I can just imagine the look on my dry cleaner's face when I bring that whole hoard in. She's used to seeing 90 shirts at a time every quarter, but not tailored clothing.
Sounds to me you should change your motto to you can't have too many shirts!

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Usually more of a as needed - stain, etc. Practically speaking it might be once a year. There are some trousers that I wear more frequently (grey and tan) that probably get cleaned more often. Sometimes they just look like they need it!

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
The regular use of a clothes brush and a good steamer can indeed, greatly extend the good looks and useful service life of our beloved suits and other fine clothes! Although, I don't think I have ever been able to extend the dry cleaning frequency to a full year? ;)

·
Registered
Tie
19,960 Posts
I dry clean my suits only when I'm about to attend a function or a special occasion what have you, I don't really go anywhere that involves wearing a suit and tie but other than that it stays in my closet.

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

If she calls a realtor or new car dealer while you're there, you know you're in trouble! :D

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
"Sponge steam and press"? Is this a common dry-cleaning request? I have a feeling my dry cleaners would not know what that is. I clean my suits about once a year.
A long time ago, (50+ years.) it used to be. But I haven't seen it offered in almost as long. Beyond the what is suggested in the name of the process, I don't know what exactly it entails.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I wear a suit every day and each one gets worn once or twice a month. I either press them with each wearing or have them cleaned and pressed. It's a lot more important to me to wear crisply pressed suits every day than to try and make them last forever. As it happens, I don't seem to wear my suits out any faster than anyone else I know...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.