Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first pair of leather soled shoes has begun to develop a hole at the ball of my right foot. I was wondering if it would be worth while to have them resoled or if I should just start shopping. Forgive me for not knowing the terminology but these are not the type of sole that show the stiching, they have a flat surface all the way across - I take it this means they are glued. I don't know if that effects the repair.

· Registered
3,950 Posts
If they're glued, they can be resoled by a good cobbler, but I don't know that they're worth it. That's up to you. Where I live, my (very good) cobbler charges $50 for full soles and heels on welted shoes; that includes a hidden chanel.

· Registered
5,852 Posts
My first pair of leather soled shoes has begun to develop a hole at the ball of my right foot. I was wondering if it would be worth while to have them resoled or if I should just start shopping. Forgive me for not knowing the terminology but these are not the type of sole that show the stiching, they have a flat surface all the way across - I take it this means they are glued. I don't know if that effects the repair.
A lack of visible stitching doesn't necessarily mean that they're glued soles, but if they're cheaper shoes they probably are.

These probably aren't worth resoling.

Shoes constructed with Goodyear welts--which sometimes but not always have a row of visible stitches around the sole--can readily be resoled. The Church's shoe shop in DC charges $75 for the service, which is not done on the premises. The DC Alden Shop on K Street charges $125 for Alden's "restoration" service which involves resoling and other repairs/refurbishments as needed, all done at the Alden factory in New England.

These kinds of charges are reasonable when you're talking about giving new life to shoes that cost over $250 (and sometimes a good deal more) when new.

If you're committed for whatever reason to less expensive, nondescript shoes like the kind you can find at Marshall's or Syms (this is not a knock, BTW), I'd recommend just tossing them as they wear down and buying new ones.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.