Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
Fourteen bucks, if memory serves, which may seem high, and eight bucks with no cuffs. My tailor has been in business since the 1960s and runs the quintessential small neighborhood shop. He can use the work, especially now, and he's very good when it comes to more complicated things, like shortening a jacket. So, while someone could probably do it cheaper, I use him exclusively and it pays off when I need something done in a hurry or advice I can trust.

·
Banned
16,023 Posts
About 12 to 15 for my highly skilled tailor. I think the cuff width is best established based on your height.

Andy M.
+1

1 1/2" suits shorter men, but some even need as small as 1 1/4". 1 3/4" or 2" are best on taller men.

·
Registered
5,808 Posts
32rollandrock said:
My tailor has been in business since the 1960s and runs the quintessential small neighborhood shop. He can use the work, especially now, and he's very good when it comes to more complicated things, like shortening a jacket. So, while someone could probably do it cheaper, I use him exclusively and it pays off when I need something done in a hurry or advice I can trust.
It's indeed hard to find good help these days, in a manner of speaking. I really need to learn how to adjust a jacket waist and cuffs, so I can do it myself, since there's only one guy around here that I trust and he's already had a quadruple bypass and is probably pushing 80...

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Around $10 for me, and anywhere between 1.75" and 2", depending on the trouser. Some get no cuff, but rarely anything less than 1.75".

·
Registered
59 Posts
If the cuff is what I call a "finished cuff" where the pinked edge of the fabric is turned under before it is "machine stitched" down, not "blind stitched", the price should be about $15. If the cuff is just cut with pinking sheers and blind stitched down without being turned under, the price should be less than $10. Your height has a lot to do with how deep your cuffs should be. If you're 5'5", I would recommend a 1.25" cuff. If you're over 6'2", you may want to consider a 1.75" or 2" cuff.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If the cuff is what I call a "finished cuff" where the pinked edge of the fabric is turned under before it is "machine stitched" down, not "blind stitched", the price should be about $15. If the cuff is just cut with pinking sheers and blind stitched down without being turned under, the price should be less than $10. Your height has a lot to do with how deep your cuffs should be. If you're 5'5", I would recommend a 1.25" cuff. If you're over 6'2", you may want to consider a 1.75" or 2" cuff.
Ok, I don't understand the differnce, but I certainly can imagine that someways of doing things are better than others. Can you tell me how to ask a potential tailor which way they are going to do the cuff?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Maybe you could ask to see a sample of their work. I recommend you to ask your tailor to finish the cuffs with a 1/2" turn under so that the raw cut of the fabric is not exposed on the inside of the leg. This is more durable in cleaning and pressing. If you want a 1.5" cuff, your trousers will need to have at least an additional 5" of fabric past the expected inseam length. Also, ask them to machine stitch rather than blind stitch the hem. A blind stitch is more likely to come out than a machine stitch.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.