Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
It's been a few years since I haven't had my wife tailor my shirts, but it used to cost me $12 to $15 to have a shirt taken in at the seams. I think current prices are up to about $20 a pop these days.

· Registered
2,131 Posts
being in the NYC region i cringe a little each time i need to get my shirt taken in just a bit. usually relatively costly. curious what you typically/are comfortable paying for such basic alterations?
When I patronized a shop in your area, the tailor would alter the shirts I purchased from them gratis. Alas, they are long since gone as well their excellent tailor.

I no longer have a need to alter shirts, most made to measure and certainly no need for more, I would think these days $20.00-$30.00 would be fair. I know others here have actual experience and may differ from my guess.

· Registered
47 Posts
I have not done it yet but I plan on sending my shirts to Mike Maldonado who is a custom shirtmaker specializing in recuts in San Antonio Texas. He charges $25 to do everything except cuff and collar work. Shipping is simple whatever you paid shipping it to him you include that much for him to ship it back. Just be aware that Mike can not make a decent website site to save his life. I have emailed him a couple of times and others on the various forums can vouch for his work.

· Registered
5,799 Posts
How about buying shirts that don't need to be taken in? Is that an option for you?
+1. In reading this thread, it occurs to me that for years I've perhaps been taking for granted that I have such an easy to fit torso, allowing me to buy shirts with the correct neck and sleeve size without having to make alterations to them. I didn't realize I was so blessed in that regard. Now I know.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.