Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
Starlo, on what basis do you offer such an unsupported, abrupt and hideous conclusion? Would you care to offer anything more constructive, perhaps even helpful? :icon_scratch:

·
Registered
6,593 Posts
I'm left wondering if my crew neck and mock turtles are equally hideous. Are we left with cardigans and zip ups?

I wonder where this button up mock turtle stands?

Smile Plant Sky Dress shirt Tree

Smile Outerwear Photograph Shoulder Plant

I'm so confused. So many V-necks, so many turtlenecks. It's going to be a Saturday night massacre if I have to purge them all.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
Question regarding the shape of the V. Classic sweaters often had deep V's. Not so much now but they seem to be coming back in popularity
Don't count buttons. Buttons have nothing to do with it. Look in a full-length mirror and assess what, in coordination with your build and everything else you are wearing, looks balanced and aesthetically appealling to your eye.

You probably wouldn't want too shallow of a "V" because that could make you look like your sweater is too small. Too deep a "V" and it could look too big. But the terms "shallow" and "deep" are relative. Go with what you like and what looks good on your frame.

Of course, if you are seriously concerned about having too deep a "V," you can eliminate your dilemma completely-simply forego the V-neck and wear a Z-neck sweater instead. The Z-neck: it's the next big thing in menswear. It's the perfect cure for VNDA (V-Neck Depth Anxiety). (Just call it "vanda.") Thus:

"May I help you?"

"My doctor sent me here. I've got a bad case of vanda. He wrote this prescription."

"Ah, yes-a Z-neck. Right this way, please. By the way, our new line of casual shirts just came in."

·
Registered
22 Posts
Starlo, on what basis do you offer such an unsupported, abrupt and hideous conclusion? Would you care to offer anything more constructive, perhaps even helpful? :icon_scratch:
Being under no obligation to do so, I would not.

No.

Fashion is subjective and insomuch there are no wrong answers. We're talking about clothing preferences, not the half-life of Uranium 235. I simply stated my own lack of preference for V-neck things. And turtlenecks.

I have no interest in whether OP wears the aforementioned or not.
That would be ridiculous.

·
Read Only
2,318 Posts
Being under no obligation to do so, I would not.

No.

Fashion is subjective and insomuch there are no wrong answers. We're talking about clothing preferences, not the half-life of Uranium 235. I simply stated my own lack of preference for V-neck things. And turtlenecks.

I have no interest in whether OP wears the aforementioned or not.
That would be ridiculous.
Not true.

"Don't" is not 'simply stated lack of preference', but telling someone not to wear something.

·
Registered
6,593 Posts
The OP posted a question. He was soliciting the experience, opinions, and taste of the forum members. He was looking for education and guidance. He was not just posting to showcase his opinions, he wantedfrrdback.

You then provided that feedback with your opinion. Then when asked to elaborate, you walk it back. You claim to be posting your opinion in the belief that the OP, who is looking for guidance, would be of poor character to consider your opinion. Then why did you respond at all?

If you posted to join in the discussion, then why run away from it when challenged oe imply asked to elaborate? Are you just trolling, and so have no confidence in your convictions, or have no opinions and are just spouting off?

This forum works on back and forth. It can be a bit rough around the edges, but for most every member the discussions are driven by a desire to share, debate, and educate. With a few exceptions, personality clashes are avoided, and usually shut down quickly. Over time those who cannot get along tend to just ignore each other.

You just joined the forum. Welcome. If you wish to participate then please do. Just get a thicker skin, and be constructuve.
Debate is welcome, sarcasm, irony, joshing are welcome. Enmity is not.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The OP posted a question. He was soliciting the experience, opinions, and taste of the forum members. He was looking for education and guidance. He was not just posting to showcase his opinions, he wantedfrrdback.

A zero sum game. The issue of how many buttons to show through a V-neck top simply isn't a question that that warrants serious consideration or any modicum of critique whatsoever. It is an absurdity.Surely, I think, life is too short. Indeed, it isn't really a question at all; it is a neurosis.

You then provided that feedback with your opinion. Then when asked to elaborate, you walk it back. You claim to be posting your opinion in the belief that the OP, who is looking for guidance, would be of poor character to consider your opinion. Then why did you respond at all?

Not entirely correct--but near enough. I believe your ultimate point of contention is that there was in fact no point commenting at all. I can't say I disagree. However, there was also no point to the question. It got what it deserved. It's a bit like ready steady cook; you've got to give me something to start with.

If you posted to join in the discussion, then why run away from it when challenged oe imply asked to elaborate? Are you just trolling, and so have no confidence in your convictions, or have no opinions and are just spouting off?

Convictions? I've got to say, momsdoc, the question of whether to wear V-neck things or not doesn't exactly elicit an existential dilemma for me. Perhaps it's a more pressing concern for someone caught up in the epistemology of button-showing. Personally,I do not think about it any more than I think about where baby ants might go to school.

This forum works on back and forth. It can be a bit rough around the edges, but for most every member the discussions are driven by a desire to share, debate, and educate. With a few exceptions, personality clashes are avoided, and usually shut down quickly. Over time those who cannot get along tend to just ignore each other.

You just joined the forum. Welcome. If you wish to participate then please do. Just get a thicker skin, and be constructuve.
Debate is welcome, sarcasm, irony, joshing are welcome. Enmity is not.
If 'sarcasm and joshing' are acceptable, then why are we having an extended conversation about a throwaway remark? Moreover, it wasn't me who took issue with anything. I'm not the one being 'thin skinned' here, and another member of this site actually went as far to deviate not only off-topic, but off-thread, to post snide comments on my post out of nothing more than literal enmity---by proxy, no less. How ridiculous. I suggest you chastise said poster who has breached the parameters of forum etiquette--that is, unless you want to willing invalidate the clauses of your own convictions.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.