Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings All:

I am new to the site, but I have a question for you all: How many suits do you own?

I have known for many years now that my sartoriale purchases could bankrupt a small country, but I would like to know how many standard deviations away from the mean I am. Please let us know.

Cheers

·
Registered
15 Posts
Have you ever seen American Psycho? There is about a 30 second clip of Patrick Bateman's closet. THAT is too many.

I have about 5 suits (7 as soon as I get some order made suits re-done). I can't see myself exceeding this. I'm young, though. Who knows what the future holds?

·
Connoisseur - Moderator
9,709 Posts
One. Most of the time I wear sport coats. I'm in the middle of losing some weight and do not have the budget to spend on suits I hope won't fit in a couple years.

·
Registered
647 Posts
This can really depend on your personal circumstances. I have 4 suits, which may seem like not very many, but I don't have to wear one to work more than a few times a month. Mind you, sometimes I do, just because, but it's not required. Things are different if you are a lawyer or some other profession that needs to be constantly be-suited.

That being said, I'd say if you have more suits than say, (age/2), there is a large chance you've a problem. That gives you room to keep really great suits for years while still updating now and then as you 'mature'.

·
Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
I have three but one of those is a black suit which I suppose doesn't count here. :icon_smile_big: Only the navy and charcoal suits are worn in bona fide suit and tie situations with the black suit reserved for casual wear.

Cruiser

·
Registered
20 Posts
This can really depend on your personal circumstances. I have 4 suits, which may seem like not very many, but I don't have to wear one to work more than a few times a month. Mind you, sometimes I do, just because, but it's not required. Things are different if you are a lawyer or some other profession that needs to be constantly be-suited.

That being said, I'd say if you have more suits than say, (age/2), there is a large chance you've a problem. That gives you room to keep really great suits for years while still updating now and then as you 'mature'.
Hi

I guess that I'm just a little into the 'problem' area. I'm 52 and I have about 30 suits.

I do wear suits at work every day, so I can cycle through these pretty quickly.

cheers

joe

·
Registered
415 Posts
You can never have too much

Having an excellent selection of shirts, ties and a wide variety of dress/semi-dress shoes adds even greater choices to how to use your suits

Once I got up to 30 useable bespoke work dress shirts, I figured it was time to transition to shoes. Once I get a closet full of shoes like the late Adolf Menjou, then its time to to get an equal number of suits. The pictures of the Duke of Windsors wardrobe is a great start

I'm sure just when one feels they have plenty...they'll flush out the stuff they regretted making and find a better and suitable replacement...thus there is no end in site

Take the shoe fairy. Do you think he's reached the end of his rope...of course not, since there is still so much more to explore

With the great selection of fabrics out there, the potential additional choice in bespoke suits is endless

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Have you ever seen American Psycho? There is about a 30 second clip of Patrick Bateman's closet. THAT is too many.

I have about 5 suits (7 as soon as I get some order made suits re-done). I can't see myself exceeding this. I'm young, though. Who knows what the future holds?
Aside from the homicidal maniac factor, Bateman is indeed the man. My college roomate and I quote this entire movie between a week's worth of phone calls. I am working toward his closet.

·
Registered
169 Posts
5 plain suits of varying degrees of quality and 3 lightweight linen blends for hot San Fernando valley weather.

I do plan to add but could never foresee bankrupting myself let alone a small country. Of course that's probabl what GM said, too.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Greetings, Gentlemen! I am a suit fiend.

I've been wearing suits every business day for over three decades. The upward limit will be dictated by the amount of space you have for storing them properly. Allow at least four inches of rod space for hanging each one. Six inches per suit would be ideal. Also, it's nice to be able to wear each one at least twice during its season, each year. This gives you the opportunity to dislodge any creepy crawlers that may be setting up housekeeping in your suit.

Andy's excellent book gives advice on how many and which suits to begin with. Beyond the solid navy, the striped navy, the solid charcoal, and the striped charcoal, there are the exotic suits, the esoteric suits, and the quirky suits that are the mark of gentlemen who write their own rules.

I have a black Double Breasted Stefano Ricci for certain funerals, and for meetings where I need to be perceived in a certain light. I have a black two button Southwick for the funerals of more proper persons. Then, there's the black on black awning-striped single-button I wear on (thankfully rare) nights when we have to make appearances at multiple parties . Too, there's a blue-black chalk-striped Escorial Wool Brioni for crucial meetings where I must look impeccable, but capable of the most extreme measures (that square-shouldered Roman profile is an implicit threat).

I have an olive Oxxford that I wear among gentlepersons who are not a threat, and whom I wish to reassure. Then, there's the tropical weight chocolate Baldesarini three-button windowpane I wear when I anticipate dealing with difficult women and want to distract them with the gym-bod. On the wish list is a heavy herringbone tweed alpaca, to wear visiting construction sites during cold snaps, and a deep cobalt silk for the surprisingly many occasions when it is best to look flashy and uncouth. Of course, I have the requisite standard suits, too, for going Downtown to meet with attorneys.

For those in more conservative professions, where it is necessary to exaggerate rather than hide one's gentility, and where the standard color and cut rules absolutely apply, there is still the possibility of using a week's worth of tropical weight business suits and a week's worth of medium-weight suits.

If your office is not overheated, you may even be able to use some winter-weight suits. I do not own one. Then, you could add upwards of a dozen suits for social occasions and religious attendance. A good suit is supremely comfortable...as much so as silk pajamas. And a good worsted wool is more durable than denim. Possibly you've already discovered that it's easier to knock around on off days in a fun suit than to coordinate a 'casual' outfit. Put a silky, lighter-than-business-color wool suit with a bright tie and driving mocs (or Stubbs & Wooton slippers) and off days become holidays.

So how could there ever be a limit? Just keep buying bigger houses, young man!

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have about 5 suits. I find that this keeps me covered in most situations, though I would of course like more.

The only way I could see with having too many suits is if someone who only wore one a few times a year had several dozen... other than that, go crazy! If they make you happy, there's no shame in having a lot of suits. :icon_smile:

Griff

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
Over the past year and a half I have reduced my suit inventory from 17 to just three, assuming we don't count summer poplin and/or seersucker suits. The three remaining include a navy pinstripe, a charcoal solid, and a charcoal pinstripe. As time passes, I find myself returning to blazers/sport coats as my preferred attire.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I currently own 4 suits (2 navy and 2 black)... Just got rid of a fifth and sixth (both gray) as they no longer fit and look very 90's... The 2 navy are recent purchases from within this last year...

The coats from the black ones also no longer fit... I may keep the trousers... A solid dark charcoal MTM I will receive in mid Jan will replace them which will bring my count down to 3...

I own 3 sport coats, an overcoat, and a 3/4 length pea coat... I seem to be gearing myself more to sport coats than suits even though I like suits more...

·
Registered
356 Posts
If memory serves I think I have a white linen suit that I wear rarely in the summer, a light gray suit that is a summertime favorite, a nice two button olive, 3 oxford gray pinstripe suits of various design which are a staple, one gray prince of whales 3 piece that I love like a child, one brown three piece, with another being planned now, two blue pinstripe, one black solid and one black pinstripe 3 piece and two dinner jacket/trousers, both with revers, although one is traditional and one is more for fun occasions. I also have a large variety of sport coats, all of which I can't remember but are mostly in blue and tan shades, as well as the black velvet shawl silk faced collar smoking jacket that I'm wearing today/tonight for Christmas. I can hear my wife's uncles jokes about Hefner already ha.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.