Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
2,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have three RTW suits and a number of blazers and trousers.

I will be adding to the rotation a MTM suit in December/January for very formal occasions. I was going to get one in the summer sale at Gieves & Hawkes; however, due to other circumstances, the money was needed elsewhere. Then looking to at least one RTW or MTM suit for work.

It got me wondering, how long would a suit last. I know there can never be a straight answer because of quality, material, useage, care, etc.

How long have your suits lasted before being changed?

· Registered
1,459 Posts
Hi Tory!

Assuming you are refering only to suits made of wool, then a well made suit should last at least ten years.

Though of course a proper Savile Row bespoke article may well be handed down through the generations and remain perfectly wearable.

Search this forum for suit care advice. There is so much useful information here. I really cannot stress how useful the forum search function is.

Three proper suits are really all a man needs for business wear.

Look after your suits, and they will look after you!

· Registered
2,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Though of course a proper Savile Row bespoke article may well be handed down through the generations and remain perfectly wearable.
At the time I got my suits could only afford RTW. Well I had two of the trousers, so it was a case of purchasing a suit and two blazers.

I do have a bespoke item (British made but not Savile Row), hand-me-down from Uncle; it is about 30 years old. Does need to be dry-cleaned though.

My suit and casual sweater rotations are they things letting me down, in my opinion. Will have enough casual sweaters by xmas.

· Registered
2,219 Posts
I have fused suits that are fifteen years old and still going....

I never wear the same suit in any one week. Also, I air out and brush all suits before putting them in my closet. I steam out any wrinkles which do not hang out before wearing. I usually buy a new suit when I am perhaps tired of the old one, not because it is getting shabby.

Now I have enough suits and sport coats where I can go 30 days in my rotation if I wish, but I generally wear favorites more often.

· Tech and Business Advice Guru
6,643 Posts
I have one Italian RTW suit purchased when I was 21 or 22. Fits and looks fine as do all but the one - practically brand new - which was stolen last year :mad:.

As long as one doesn't wear them too often thus madating frequent cleaning, I see no reason besides trauma (rips, snags, improper mothproofing or bad dry-cleaning) that a suit should last less than forever. The greater challenge lies in maintaining a consistent physique.

· Registered
934 Posts
Most of my suits from Savile Row or MTM or OTR usually lasted eight to ten years. As my weigth changed the suits were retired to a church thrift shop. Also I dry cleaned my suits more often than necessary so that also added to the wear. A friend of mine inherited from his father many suits from Huntsman and they looked old both in style and wear. Some of my friends had DJ from their grandfathers.

· Registered
4,150 Posts
I bought seven or eight suits from David Ng Evergreen Tailors in HK in 1996 and 1997, They're all going strong, haven't needed any repairs or alterations (except for a couple losing a button), and of one or two I'm asked whether it's a new suit because they're in such good condition.

One thing which I'm sure helps is that I didn't go for Super 430s or whatever - at the time Super 100s were beginning to be common, and the price difference between 100s and 120s (& 140s...) seemed to me to be too high to justify it.

When I go back to Blighty early next year I'll be trying some of my father's suits - and some of them are 30 or 40 years old.

· Registered
748 Posts
Ive got a black 3 piece suit that ive only worn 4 times and ive had it for about 10 years. So it will last me another 30 years i would think. I havent dry cleaned it yet. And i suppose wearing it and dry cleaning it regularly would make it not last so long.

· Registered
423 Posts
Do people think that getting an extra pair of trousers will extend a suit's life to warrant the extra cost? I figure if suits last for upwards of ten years then it really should not be necessary. I am ready for a new item after ten years anyways.

· Registered
2,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Do people think that getting an extra pair of trousers will extend a suit's life to warrant the extra cost? I figure if suits last for upwards of ten years then it really should not be necessary. I am ready for a new item after ten years anyways.
Yes. A trouser gets more 'wear' then a blazer.

If I were to buy three MTM suits tomorrow, I will get an extra trouser for each suit and rotate the trousers with the blazer

Mon - black suit, trouser 1
Tues - grey suit, trouser 1
Wed - navy suit, trouser 1
Thurs - black suit, trouser 2
Fri - grey suit, trouser 2
Mon - navy suit, trouser 2
repeat

You wear the blazer on the way to work, take it off in the office, maybe put in when going out for lunch and wear in on the way home. Whereas, you wear the trousers until you get home.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.