Men's Clothing Forums banner

On what sort of occasion would you wear this jacket?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
108 Posts
Having photographed approx. one thousand weddings, I have seen most everything. If I were a guest, I would wear it to a wedding without hesitation. This site probably thinks suits are the rule but not in the real world Midwest.

· Registered
346 Posts
I think this is acceptable as long as we aren't trying to make anything formal out of it. I have a suit much like that from years ago and were I to wear it now I suppose it would just be with a black turtleneck. If you have but the coat, you might wear black or grey trousers. The pockets look a bit odd. Are there flaps there that are turned under? If so, I'd bring them back out. If not, perhaps the pocket openings need to be stitched closed so as not to look overly used. Could you wear it to a wedding? Unfortunately, I'm sure you could to most and not look out of place compared to the way many dress for weddings these days...

Hans

· Registered
2,568 Posts
It looks kind of "90s" to me? I know there was an interval of that decade where black & white houndstooth was trendy.

Ignoring that it could come off as "dated", I can see it with a black turtleneck and black trousers (or jeans). Maybe a black Chelsea boot or similar. It would definitely be "a look".

DH

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I actually was wearing khakis, light blue pinpoint this morning and threw on this jacket - It worked great, without coming across as "a look" I think. I'm okay with dated.
Guess I was always trying to dress it up too much.

· Registered
2,722 Posts
I had one similar to it and also had a hard time coordinating with other things. The university that I worked for had black and gold as school colors so I sometimes wore it with a white shirt, dark gray trousers and a gold and black stripe tie to more casual university social functions. or at times with a yellow OCBD and a black sweater vest.

· Registered
842 Posts
Unless my eyes are deceiving me, it appears to be a one button jacket, with the single button being particularly low. That seems quite unusual. I’d be interested to know where and when this was made.

· Registered
1,780 Posts
Looks like an orphaned suit jacket. I wouldn’t wear it anywhere without the matching pants.
That would seem a pretty loud suit. In either case, I agree with most commenters that it probably looks better than it wears, I'd probably have a tough time matching it. I'd think black pants and not ever sure about a shirt, but in either case something less casual than a suit. Still may work for a guest at a wedding, however. May work as "cocktail attire," if outfitted successfully.

· Registered
152 Posts
I have had a suit of that material before but never just a jacket. Crisp white French cuffed shirt, black wool trousers, white pocket square white well polished black shoes and beautiful silk tie (black and silver stripes?) will make it as formal as it ever can be but it will never be too formal. I like the idea of black turtleneck, black trousers and black Chelsea boots for a "look". Here is Boz Scaggs wearing a blown out version of the same--it certainly works for him but then rock stars in the 80s had a whole different set of rules....

Outerwear Hairstyle Sleeve Font Cool

1 - 15 of 15 Posts