Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just purchased this wool car length coat for the winter. I thought it looked great in the store, but my SO said that the collar/buttons made it look too much like a woman's coat. What do people think? I intend to wear this with a sport jacket/wool pants, but not a suit.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
It looks like a typical man’s car coat. The buttons are on the right side, the buttonholes on the left, so you’re good to go. If it were the other way around, your Significant Other would have a point (not that there’s anything wrong with cross-dressing).

Incidentally, here’s how some fashion historians explain why men’s button-front garments always have the buttons on the right side: In olden times (I used the word “olden” so that you’ll think I know more than I do), swords were worn over the soldier’s left hip. With buttons to the right and buttonholes to the left, the front flaps of the soldier’s coat crossed left over right. Accordingly, the soldier could reach across with his right hand and remove his sword from its scabbard without catching the sword’s guard (the doohickey that separates the blade from the grip) on the front flap of his coat. One fluid motion.

So, Nimo, what you need to say to your Significant Other is this: “Check out the flaps on this here new car coat. Left over right, just as they should be. Very manly. Now let me strap on this sword, and I’ll be ready, in a manner most macho, to protect you from any hooligan who dares to approach us with evil intent. Or maybe I’ll just use you as a human shield. Haven’t quite decided yet. Let’s face it—your unsolicited comments about my clothes are starting to get on my nerves.”

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
I agree with Matt - if anything it's the closed collar that makes it look a bit effeminate. Maybe open the collar - put on a scarf - see if that changes your SO's opinion. Overall, I admit I am trying hard to figure out why your SO finds it to look like a woman's coat - it's not my first thought.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the feedback. My SO clarified that the short collar makes my shoulders appear narrower than my waist, which isn't flattering. She thinks the collar should be wider and with a lapel, to make the shoulders broader. Also, she thinks the coat should be longer, to just above the knee.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback. My SO clarified that the short collar makes my shoulders appear narrower than my waist, which isn't flattering. She thinks the collar should be wider and with a lapel, to make the shoulders broader. Also, she thinks the coat should be longer, to just above the knee.
A bigger collar won't make your shoulders look broader. Also, what you have is a car coat, not a traditional overcoat. Both garments are fine, but they each have their own stylistic structure. You want a car coat; Significant Other wants you in an overcoat--the kind with suit-style lapels and probably more structured shoulders. So keep the car coat and ask her to buy you an overcoat. (Or tell her to stop overthinking this. Just don't say that out loud. Use mental telepathy and hope she gets the message.)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.