Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, my boyfriend and I went to Bachrach and impulsively bought a suit/vest/pants for 75% off for about $250 (yeah I know we got conned) since their store was going out of business. The salesperson said this suit fit him the best. After buying it, and doing more research on here, I dreadfully realized the shoulders fit too big on him. The seam is at the curve of his shoulder instead of the edge and I am horrified about if this non-refundable suit was a complete waste of money. We were going to take it to the tailor to have the suit taken in at the 2 seams, but now I am freaking out about the shoulders. Do you think it is worth adjusting the shoulders? How horrible do they look? How is the suit fit otherwise? We had wanted to spend up to $100 at the tailor, but I'm not sure if it's a lost cause. (His arms are forward in the pics, but the suit does end at his knuckles in neutral position).

Here are 3 pictures of the suit. Thanks to anyone who can give any comments at all!

· Suspended
10,801 Posts
The sleeves appear to be longer than the hem of the jacket. This suit was allegedly originally for sale at £1,000 dollars?

Since I have latterly made a compact with the powers that be to present a kinder, gentler, aspect to newcomers then I am obliged to proceed thusly: Brace yourself for bad news - I would implore you not to spend any more money on this item.

· Registered
8,586 Posts
Welcome! The good news is that the shoulders fit just fine! They don't look too wide at all. The biggest problem is that the length of the jacket is too short by about an inch. The sleeves are a few inches too long, but those can be shortened as long as the cuffs do not have working buttonholes. It would help to see the entire suit to know how the three pieces all fit him together.

· Registered
662 Posts
The shoulders are fine and the back looks quite good. Once the sleeves are shortened, the jacket length should be fine as well. When you go to have the sleeves shortened, make sure he is wearing a shirt that will be worn with the jacket. Have the sleeves shortened so that about 1/4 inch of cuff is showing.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Phew, I am relieved that the shoulders are okay! I did want him to wear a normal button-up shirt with the jacket for these pictures, but he was disgruntled at the time because I made him put it on a bunch of times before so he ended up just putting it on with his T-shirt. I'll get him to wear it with the button-up today. It does have fake button holes so we will definitely have the tailor shorten the sleeves.

· Suspended
10,801 Posts
@aaapowercat- consider this: should anyone who may claim that jacket is worth further expense be good enough to post an accompanying pic of themselves wearing a jacket that fits as well as the one below then, by all means, listen to them.

Otherwise, the proof of the pudding being in the eating and whatnot.

· Registered
8,586 Posts
To Shaver, proof that I know how a suit should fit:

While the shoulders are certainly fine in the suit in question, there's not enough to see in the images to know if the entire suit will fit. With a short length suit, I'm very surprised that the sleeves are as long as they are. These days, a 5'8" usually needs a regular length since everything is made shorter. My main concern is that the body of the jacket is too short, but if he's wearing the entire suit it will be easier to see if that is true.

· Registered
13,646 Posts
Like other above, I think the shoulders fit fine, but the length of the jacket is too short and, IMH, nothing can fix that. The jacket is too tight on him, but taking it out won't change the fact that it is too short.

Also, you can see in your second picture how the pattern on the suit's "body" doesn't line up with the sleeves or the collar at all - a pretty good sign of lower quality work. Not trying to beat you up, just pointing out things to look for going forward. Also, pointing out that putting more money into this one probably isn't a good idea.

Since you are new and are asking advice, the most important thing with clothing is a good fit. Modestly priced clothes well tailored look meaningfully better than very expensive clothes that don't fit / are poorly tailored.

I doubt there is anyone here at AAAC who didn't make a similar mistake when they were first buying suits, etc - i.e., buy a suit that doesn't really fit because it what a "great buy." While not inexpensive, your lesson isn't a crazy number, but as Shaver points out, do not throw more good money after bad.

Really learn what a good fit is (Shaver's and Matt S' pictures are a great start), try on several sizes and brands as sizes very from brand to brand (don't blindly trust salesmen as many just want the sale and many don't really know what a good fit is), then wait for a good sale, buy and take it to a professional tailor to have the final tweaks made so that you have an excellent fit.

This "he was disgruntled at the time...." Made me laugh - you're a good girlfriend. Good luck.

· Registered
388 Posts
It is a 42S and he's 5'8"
I am 5'8 and use "S" too.

A quick look at their website shows that this is how their suits are supposed to fit. It's not my personal preference, but the jacket length fits as intended.

If he likes that shorter jacket look, you should get it tailored. Just understand that it's more of a trendy suit. He would not want a higher end suit that he paid 2K for to fit him like this.

· Registered
13,646 Posts

While the shoulders are certainly fine in the suit in question, there's not enough to see in the images to know if the entire suit will fit. With a short length suit, I'm very surprised that the sleeves are as long as they are. These days, a 5'8" usually needs a regular length since everything is made shorter. My main concern is that the body of the jacket is too short, but if he's wearing the entire suit it will be easier to see if that is true.
That is a really nice looking suit - may I ask the brand?

· Suspended
10,801 Posts

Matt, my much admired fellow member, you need not have proved that to me for I knew it already.

The jacket that the OP has kindly shared with us will never fit her boyfriend as well as your jacket fits you.

Unless..... is extreme bodily modification an option?

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I know I know it was a very amateur mistake. We wanted him to own a suit for my future graduation and for future friends weddings. This is the first suit he’s bought and he knows less than I do. At his point I just knew it should be 100% wool no matter what and things can be tailored down but not so much up. We trusted the sales lady because he originally wanted to buy this 40R suit and thought it was comfortable, then she immediately told him it was too small and brought out a bunch of other suits. She was criticizing the other ones and said this one fit the best in comparison. Told him that the length of the suit should reach his knuckles and he should just button the top button. He definitely likes the shorter length of the jacket and likes the fit except he wants the sides to be tighter. Next time he buys a suit I’ll probaby take him to have one custom made with half-canvas since it seems difficult to find an OTR.

I know it’s a cheap suit since it’s fused instead of canvased and he has no idea how a suit should really fit so I’m the one freaking out while he thinks it fits fine. At this point we were mainly wanting a suit for events, friends weddings, job interviews, and I was hoping if this suit is good enough for those without people noticing or thinking “ew that guys suit does not fit him”

He’s probably never going to spend >$1000 on a suit

· Premium Member
27,866 Posts
Welcome! The good news is that the shoulders fit just fine! They don't look too wide at all. The biggest problem is that the length of the jacket is too short by about an inch. The sleeves are a few inches too long, but those can be shortened as long as the cuffs do not have working buttonholes. It would help to see the entire suit to know how the three pieces all fit him together.
+1!

That's pretty much the long and the short of it. (Groan! :rolleyes:)

All things considered, it could, and I expected it to look far worse. Even absent these problems, it wouldn't be a perfect suit, but we've seen far, far worse.

The problem is that at 5'8" the gentleman is right at the division between a regular and a long for most makers depending upon how they cut them. So you're only going to know which is better with a try-on. And posed in baggy shorts and a T-shirt, we can't really tell whether this jacket is long enough to be worn, though not ideal, or beyond redemption. It's that close.

Nice suit!

· Registered
324 Posts
Tell that layabout to put on a shirt, the suit, and shoes so he can be properly diagnosed. My first suit was a fused Mens Wearhouse Perry Ellis and I got 10 years out of it before I thrifted it, and now someone else is using it.

Sleeves need to be shortened. Depending on how the waist and length of pants fit, you might be on the hook for $40-$100 in tailoring costs.

· Suspended
10,801 Posts
Tell that layabout to put on a shirt, the suit, and shoes so he can be properly diagnosed. My first suit was a fused Mens Wearhouse Perry Ellis and I got 10 years out of it before I thrifted it, and now someone else is using it.

Sleeves need to be shortened. Depending on how the waist and length of pants fit, you might be on the hook for $40-$100 in tailoring costs.
Now, now.

If I am able to wrestle my OCPD into submission and manfully resist the temptation to comment then so should you.

I am, however, humming Lady Grinning Soul to comfort myself from the anxiety.

'And when the clothes are strewn don't be afra-aid of the room...'

· Registered
3,720 Posts
I know I know it was a very amateur mistake. We wanted him to own a suit for my future graduation and for future friends weddings. This is the first suit he's bought and he knows less than I do.
Don't be too hard on yourselves. Making mistakes is how you learn! (Easy for me to say, since I'm not the one who paid for the suit.) Seriously, just think how much you have learned in only a few hours. If it's any consolation, in this forum we've seen many instances in which guys spent much more for suits that have a lot more problems than your boyfriend's new suit has. (People use the expression "If it's any consolation..." when they know darn well that what they are about to say is of no consolation.)

At his point I just knew it should be 100% wool no matter what.
Good thinking.

...things can be tailored down but not so much up.
Generally true, but not always. When buying a suit or sport coat, make sure the shoulders fit from the get-go. That's because (a) it will probably be impossible to tailor down the shoulders and (b) even if it were possible, the alteration would be expensive. Other parts of the jacket (sides, back, sleeves) can be nipped and tucked, but the shoulders should already be the correct size. (In your boyfriend's case, the shoulders of his suit fit fine.)

He definitely likes the shorter length of the jacket.
Well, OK then.

he wants the sides to be tighter.
NO! The sides are tight enough! A suit is not a sausage casing. But I guess he's going to do what he's going to do.

Next time he buys a suit I'll probaby take him to have one custom made.
NO! No, no, no! A prevalent misconception is that to get a suit that fits just right, all you need to do is get a custom-made one. Yes, perhaps you'll get a suit that fits beautifully IF you spend $5,000 for one that is absolutely, 100% bespoke--meaning that a unique pattern is made precisely to the client's specifications, and that during the process of making the suit, the client visits the tailor several times for intermittent fittings to make sure that the suit is shaping up perfectly.

However, if, when you say "custom made," you mean you'll have a made-to-measure suit created cheaply in Asia and then sent to your boyfriend, forget it. Forget it! (Made-to-measure means that tweaks are made to an existing pattern, and that the client merely gets to specify which fabric to use, how many buttons the front of the jacket will have, and other stylistic looks. And there usually isn't an intermediate fitting because the tailoring is done long-distance.)

Your boyfriend should not order a custom--or even a made-to-measure--suit because he doesn't yet know enough about suits to tell the tailor what he wants. Put another way: he doesn't know what he doesn't know. For instance, does your boyfriend know whether a suit that he wants to have made should have belt loops or side adjusters on the trousers? The tailor--if he's any good--will ask your boyfriend a lot of questions, and he'd better have answers in order to avoid ending up with style features he doesn't like.

Your boyfriend needs to get familiar with ready-made suits before he steps up to made-to-measure suits. (And he'll never need a true bespoke suit.)

He thinks it fits fine.
As Shakespeare said, "Whaddya gonna do?"

Shakespeare did say that, didn't he? Or maybe it was my Uncle Barry. One of those guys.

At this point we were mainly wanting a suit for events, friends weddings, job interviews, and I was hoping if this suit is good enough for those without people noticing or thinking "ew that guys suit does not fit him"
The suit could possibly be OK at a wedding--but, really, for weddings and certainly for job interviews, the optimal suit would be a solid navy or solid charcoal gray. So make sure your boyfriend's next suit--whenever he gets around to obtaining one--is one of those colors.

He's probably never going to spend >$1000 on a suit
Then forget a suit that is fully custom-made. And any made-to-measure suit that costs much less than $1,000 will probably look like a disaster. Unless he manages to find a local tailor where all interactions are face-to-face and intermediate fittings are part of the process. Don't even think about that online custom-suit jazz.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.