Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I just received this MTM shirt from mytailor.com. I'm pretty new to all of this so I'd like to get some expert opinion on how this fits before I commit to a more expensive fabric.

I've already washed and pressed the shirt (although poorly done:icon_smile:)

I feel that the sleeves are a bit wide and the shirt is a bit long? How long are dress shirts suppose to be? Also, it fits quite close around the hips, is this a good idea? Overall, I'm quite happy with how this turned out. Finish and quality is not on par with say name brand shirts, but for the price, I think it's fair.

Thanks for all the advice!!

·
Banned
16,023 Posts
Cuffs do appear a bit wide, but I'd give it a couple more washes and see how it goes. After that, talk to them about it.

I think I read somewhere that a closer fit on the hips will help it not ride up during the day. Let's see it tucked in!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Looks like the sleeves should be an inch shorter and the collar should be a little larger. The sleeves look like my old shirts that I normally used to buy at the department stores until I was measured and told that I needed a 32 and not a 33 that was my usual choice. Of course now I have a better fitted shirt. But that collar looks tight.

·
Banned
16,023 Posts
I think the sleeves are fine -- they have to be long enough to not expose much forearm when he moves.

Which collar shape is that?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Mytailor calls it "Traditional Spread", I had it made slightly smaller than typical ones, 2.875 X 1.625 I believe.

I did tell them to make the sleeves narrower but I guess it was too much work for them. The left cuff was made slightly larger than the right one to accommodate for watches, although I'm not wearing one in the picture.

Thanks for the advice so far!

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
I think the body of the shirt will be fine when tucked-in. Yes, the sleeves can be a lot narrower; if they can accommodate then you could keep the current sleeve length. As is they're just a touch (I guess 1/2 inch) too long, but this may lessen with additional washes. Maybe the cuffs are slightly big, but that's a minor issue. I like the collar and it's fit, no recommendations there. Have you looked into Lands End MTM? I was pleased with the result, and they make a narrow sleeve. Their fabric selection is limited, however.

·
Registered
253 Posts
your shirt

I think it looks good. I prefer my shirt sleeves a little long and they will shorten with repeated laundering. Collar fit is a personal choice and I prefer mine a bit looser.

As to length, I think you will find that you enjoy a longer shirt tail. Any time I have shirts made, I have extra length put in.

I am not a fan of monogramming even though I have made that mistake a couple of times myself.

Nice looking shirt. What was the price point and how long did they take? Were your measurements done long distance?

·
Registered
7,502 Posts
From my European perspective I'd say that shirt is a good fit. The collar is okay, the sleeves are the length I like. The body is the length I like to prevent it coming undone. Of course when you sit down remember to pull your back up a bit so as not to strangle yourself with your tie when you sit on the shirt tail :icon_smile_wink: I still do that on an almost dialy basis.

The only reservation I would have is the snug tailored fit round the waist resulting in it being too tight round the hips, which I always find restricts or makes turning at the hips uncomfortable

·
Registered
311 Posts
Shirt Fit

I think the shirt fits you well. The shoulders are the correct width, if you had them any narrower it may look like you are wearing your younger brothers shirt :icon_smile_big: and as the (a)tailor says, your right shoulder is a bit lower than the left which i dont think they can do much about correcting in the shirt unless you start having shirts made with a split yoke.

The collar looks a good fit and should feel nice and snug when you put a tie on, if you have it too big/loose, again, it will look as though you borrowed dad's shirt. I do notice that there is not much if any 'tie knot space' at the top button where the collar blades come together so i presume you will wear a FIH type knot.

Of most importance though, is that you are happy and feel good in it because you are the only guy that has to wear it, so have fun and enjoy it.:icon_smile_wink:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the great advice.

The seams are definitely puckering, tried to iron them out but didn't work. Is there a better way to remove them?

I did the monograming just to test it out as I ordered this shirt as an "experiment" of sorts. It's not as subtle as I thought so I'll definitely not order them again.

The shirt cost $60 USD including shipping from Hong Kong. Took 6 weeks.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Thanks for all the great advice.

The seams are definitely puckering, tried to iron them out but didn't work. Is there a better way to remove them?

I did the monograming just to test it out as I ordered this shirt as an "experiment" of sorts. It's not as subtle as I thought so I'll definitely not order them again.

The shirt cost $60 USD including shipping from Hong Kong. Took 6 weeks.
try stretching the seams as you iron them.

·
Banned
16,023 Posts
Why not have the monogram on the bottom of the tail? It wouldn't show at all even if you removed your jacket.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.