Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
I hardly ever use a full size ubrellas. I normally use smaller, foldable models, that can be kept in a bagpack or a suitcase. I think it is more practical, in that way I am always prepared for rain, although it is sunny outside...

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm holding it by the middle since I feel awfully eccentric when using it as a walking stick. But, 20-25 years from now, when my age legitimates eccentric behavior, I'll might use it as a walking stick haha.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
A regular sized umbrella, or brolly as the English call them,...

may be necessary in London or large US cities where trains or buses as well as feet are the modes of transportation and a sudden down pour can soak you. But I am never far from my car so a large umbrella is unecessary and is an encumbrance. A compact umbrella which fits in raincoat pocket, brief case etc is the way to go. A large, handsome brolly is just not needed and is an anachronism where I live.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
may be necessary in London or large US cities where trains or buses as well as feet are the modes of transportation and a sudden down pour can soak you. But I am never far from my car so a large umbrella is unnecessary and is an encumbrance. A compact umbrella which fits in raincoat pocket, brief case etc is the way to go. A large, handsome brolly is just not needed and is an anachronism where I live.
If you do not use an umbrella I wonder why you replied to this post?

Personally I only tend to carry an umbrella when in the company of my wife in town. Handle forward is the way I carry it.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I always carried my full-sized umbrella with the handle facing forwards. I intuitively did this because I wanted to possess the dexterity of the handle at my command should I wish to knock on a door or such like.

I would be interested to know why the correct way of holding an umbrella is for the handle to be at the rear?

·
Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
With the exception of the one attached to my golf bag, the only umbrellas I own are the small ones that fold up, and most of them say "Geico", "Allstate" or something like that on them. I rarely carry them unopened because if it isn't raining and I don't need it I usually forget and leave the thing where ever I last closed it up. I don't see many guys carrying umbrellas these days.

Cruiser

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Interesting conversation. I suppose I vary the position in which I hold it, depending on mood and circumstance.

However, I would take slight issue with the method suggested in Will's blog. I find it to be a slightly arrogant and aggressive stance (in the context of umbrella holding, of course :)) because the pointy bit is being waved towards oncomers. This is clear in Will's picture but is also something I've noted in practice. Like handing a knife or scissors to someone with the blade facing towards them, as a gentleman, this is something I would suggest should never be done. Especially when walking through anything resembling a crowd. The pointy bit should face down at an angle behind you, taking care not to stab close followers in the shins of course :)

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Great point, Mr R.

That is indeed always the thinking that had appeared most logical to me.

Why does Will suggest that the handle should be pointing backwards - that's what I'd like to know!
Rossini does make a good point. I have always carried mine with the handle facing forward, too. I'd also like to know the rationale for the handle being in back.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.