Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
When wearing over a suit / jacket?

Also, I am a 38R. Is it correct to size up and get the 40R (Bedale).
I don't think you'd want to wear a Bedale with a suit because your jacket will stick well the hem of the Bedale. Generally, I just close the cuff so it's too big and doesn't interfere with things when I put on my Beaufort.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
The Bedale is a horse-riding coat. The short length and elasticized cuffs and wind-resistant shell make it good motorcycle jacket in a pinch. These qualities, however, make it a lousy overcoat. It will always mash your cuffs and never reach the bottom edge of your jacket. If you want to wear a Barbour over a jacket, try one of the longer ones, like a Beaufort, which has no elastic at the cuffs and is long enough to completely cover a jacket.

My Bedale is one size large and fits well. I seem to recall a pictures of the Royals in their Bedales from a previous post on this subject. They wear theirs several sizes large. Check the Archives for this post.

·
Registered
7,502 Posts

If you want to buy a Barbour as a suit/jacket cover then don't buy a Bedale because it is too short. A Bedale is for riding bikes and horses, hence the 2 vents and jumper style cuffs, and and is worn directly on top of a shirt or jumper not on top of another jacket.

If you want a suit cover buy a Beaufort or if you want more length buy a Northumbria.

·
Registered
81 Posts

That is because the Bedale isn't typically thrown over a suit. Get a Beaufort for that.

I'm also 101% certain that your suit jacket tail hangs below the Bedale hem. Which is more tacky.

I also wear C38 in both my current style Beaufort and Bedale. I used to own the Beaufort in c40, but the newer style Beauforts are cut fuller and a C38 would fit with plenty of room for a suit jacket under.

Do yourself a favor and do not use your Bedale for an over coat for the suit.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.