Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the market for an "interview suit", and have been considering Zegna for quite some time. My tastes are rather trendy (I have a Dolce Gabbana suit now, and say what you will, that suit fits awesome!), but I realize I have to be a bit more restrained for a suit intended for business. That being said, I dont want to look like an old man (Im 28, in good shape, and want to look professional, but not dead, lol). How do Ermenegildo Zegna suits fit? I know the fabrics are great, but can anyone comment on the fit? Is it a suit that would flatter a more athletic looking, youthful person, or is it better reserved for the older more distinguished gentleman. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
forgot to add, Im basically just sticking to things that I can purchase at a store like saks or neiman marcus, etc. I know there are bespoke tailors out there, but for now, I want to stick to the name brands (for convenience, store credit, etc). Anyway, Ive tried RL black label, and the arms fit WAY too tight. Id also consider Gucci, Prada, Valentino, Canali, Versace, Armani,, etc. My work schedule sucks, and ideally Id just go and start trying a bunch of suits on, but I just dont have time. Plus, Id like to go in armed with some knowledge so I dont get pressured by the salesman

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
You cannot go wrong with E. Zegna suits. As a 26 year old former rugby player (back row) turned into cyclist with muscles, Zenga fits me really well, although most RTW jackets fit me well.

Single-breasted, 2 button suit in navy, grey or charcoal grey - perfect for interviews, work, smart occasions and still have a cool brand suit.

They have some nice suits this collection; however, I always prefer their spring-summer collection compared to autumn-winter.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cool, good to hear! Are they on the slimmer side, more traditionally cut, or somewhere in between? How would its fit compare to some of the other designers I listed in terms of most slim to least. Really appreciate this guys! Its going to be an expensive investment for me, so I want to ask the pros before I make a decision :)

·
Registered
168 Posts
hola

Hi,

Maybe my experiences can be of use. I'm 5'11 165 and pretty much a perfect 40/50R, if a little skinny. I have an E Zegna suit that I like. I like the fit of Boss, which I think is probably pretty close to DG. I don't like "fashiony" brands that are selling ads and not quality. Zegna is a pretty good compromise. I have a 2 button shiny gray Zegna that is a good compromise. I had it slimmed down a bit and it could be a little bit less in the shoulders. Overall, it's great. Try one on and let us know what you think. I haven't found anything I like more in the price range.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Sounds like Zegna would be a perfect fit for you. They are going to fit more snug then a traditional American label like Brooks Brothers, but won't be nearly as trim as RL Black Label and Prada or any other "fashiony" brands. It's imperative that you don't buy Z Zegna, but Ermenegildo Zegna, as ZZ is fused crap and E. Zegna is fully canvassed with great fabrics. If you want to go the extra mile, Zegna has an extensive made to measure collection. This will give you exactly the fit you are looking for and any additional features you want for about 20% more then RTW. If you are going to spend $2,000 on a suit, might as well spend $2,400 and make it perfect. If you time it correctly, you could attend a Zegna trunk show where you could possibly get some or all of the MTM premium waved.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
good advice guys, thanks! My next question would be, when and where would be the best time to catch a sale on these suits. If I could catch a break on it, it would help so much! You mentioned trunk sales; who would have these, and can I somehow find out when it is? I would be open to going to any boutique or dept store in the NYC area, or even toronto, as I visit alot

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
good advice guys, thanks! My next question would be, when and where would be the best time to catch a sale on these suits. If I could catch a break on it, it would help so much! You mentioned trunk sales; who would have these, and can I somehow find out when it is? I would be open to going to any boutique or dept store in the NYC area, or even toronto, as I visit alot
Saks, BG, and Neiman Marcus have at least 2 Zegna trunk shows per year. They are usually in the early spring and the early fall.

·
Registered
282 Posts
cool, good to hear! Are they on the slimmer side, more traditionally cut, or somewhere in between? How would its fit compare to some of the other designers I listed in terms of most slim to least. Really appreciate this guys! Its going to be an expensive investment for me, so I want to ask the pros before I make a decision :)
Hi, I own a few Zegna items of clothing. In my humble opinion, I would suggest that you will definitely need to try on the suit before purchase. Zegna appears to be cut slightly fuller for the American Market than the European market. I cannot say whether a "Made in Italy" Zegna will be vastly different from a "Made In Switzerland" Zegna, in terms of cut, but you may notice some difference.

If you primarily concerned with fit, I wouldn't immediately write Z-Zegna off. True they are the poorer cousin to E. Zegna and mainly produced in Mexico. However, they will tend to have a "trendier" fit (if this is correct word).

Having said the above, I would not pay full price for Zegna any more, particularly if it's Z-Zegna. You should be able to get a suit at a discount (especially if you are patient).

I hope this helps?

Clint

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Sounds like Zegna would be a perfect fit for you. They are going to fit more snug then a traditional American label like Brooks Brothers, but won't be nearly as trim as RL Black Label and Prada or any other "fashiony" brands.
OTR Zegna is nowhere near as trim as RLBL. In fact, I have found Zegna to but amongst the most "full" cut of any OTR Italian suit, and often have to size a full size down or I am swimming in the coats. I would say they do not fit more snug than BB at all, and they are substantially fuller than the Regent or Fitzgerald fit.

Hi, I own a few Zegna items of clothing. In my humble opinion, I would suggest that you will definitely need to try on the suit before purchase. Zegna appears to be cut slightly fuller for the American Market than the European market. I cannot say whether a "Made in Italy" Zegna will be vastly different from a "Made In Switzerland" Zegna, in terms of cut, but you may notice some difference.
I think I tend to agree with you. They are a pretty roomy suit, and the OP will need to try them on before he buys or get ready to play the return game for a while. I would recommend you look at RL Polo as well.

·
Registered
282 Posts
OTR Zegna is nowhere near as trim as RLBL. In fact, I have found Zegna to but amongst the most "full" cut of any OTR Italian suit, and often have to size a full size down or I am swimming in the coats. I would say they do not fit more snug than BB at all, and they are substantially fuller than the Regent or Fitzgerald fit.

I think I tend to agree with you. They are a pretty roomy suit, and the OP will need to try them on before he buys or get ready to play the return game for a while. I would recommend you look at RL Polo as well.
Not wishing to derail the thread (I do love Zegna, at lot), I was wondering whether you can get anything made by Raphael Caruso. They seem to be pretty fitted (based upon my limited experience). As well as their own branding, they also make for Ralph Lauren (I cannot remember which label, but I think black) and Dunhill (amongst others).

I also kinda like Isaia. These tend to be slimmer than the above (again, in my limited experience). However, if all you can find is Zegna, then you could do far worst.

Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
816 Posts
It sounds like RLBL might be right up your alley. It's pretty slim, but not runway model skinny like some of the fashion brands.

I know you mentioned that you work a lot and don't have time to try on a bunch of suits, but if you are going to invest $1.5-$2.5K on a suit, please do yourself a favor and put a little bit of time into it. This forum can be a great resource to get some info on quality or general fit, but you shouldn't have your mind made up before you walk into a store just based on what people say on here. Go ahead and try on several suits. Besides learning first-hand how each brand will fit, I think you will find that it is actually fun!

Good luck and keep us posted and what you end up buying.

Edit: I forgot that you already tried RLBL. Sorry. I tried one on about a year ago and it fit me pretty well.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
WOW, you guys have been really helpful! I see alot of responses mentioning RLBL, and I recently made a trip to try one on, fully ready to fall in love with it (being that I prefer trim suits). I was so disappointed; Im an athletic 5'10", 175-180 pounds, which isnt all that large by any means. However, the upper arms were so tight!! I normally wear a 40, and the arms were like elastic on me (I only have 16inch biceps, not like Im built like a monster or anything). Anyway, the salesman tried to convince me to size up and have it taken in (which Im not confident with).

As for these trunk sales, how can I find out when these are held? Im a resident physician, and as you all know we get paid like crap, so I really want to be able to save some serious cash if I buy a Zegna. I can afford to be patient, as I dont need it for quite awhile. If you guys know of exactly when/where I can find an awesome discount, Ill use the money I save to buy you all a round, lol

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
re: fit:

Z Zegna - trim/slim with some suppression
Mainline - boxy through the chest/torso
Couture - can be quite trim, but variable

All of my mainline and couture items have needed heavy tailoring to shape/suppress further which has been most successful on two couture items that I have. I don't really plan on adding more mainline Zegna as a result of my experience.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
As for these trunk sales, how can I find out when these are held? Im a resident physician, and as you all know we get paid like crap, so I really want to be able to save some serious cash if I buy a Zegna. I can afford to be patient, as I dont need it for quite awhile. If you guys know of exactly when/where I can find an awesome discount, Ill use the money I save to buy you all a round, lol
If you are planning on buying from a store like Bergdorf, Neiman or Saks, then your best bet is to speak to the manager of the tailored clothing department. I'm not entirely familiar with shopping at major department stores so I'm not 100% on their trunk show process. My local Zegna dealer is a 150 year old family owned speciality shop. They are having a Zegna trunk show on April 9 and have already sent out mailers, email blasts and it is on the front page of their website. I don't imagine a large store is going to make it that easy for you. I'd recommend going to the Zegna shop on Fifth Avenue where they will be the most knowledgable about the brand.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Not wishing to derail the thread (I do love Zegna, at lot), I was wondering whether you can get anything made by Raphael Caruso. They seem to be pretty fitted (based upon my limited experience). As well as their own branding, they also make for Ralph Lauren (I cannot remember which label, but I think black) and Dunhill (amongst others).
Ditto on Caruso, hands down my favorite maker. Slim but not too slim cut with a very soft shoulder, that's a stark contrast to the Zegna shoulder.

My problem is that I'm inbetween a 56 and 54 in the Zegna mainline. Z fits me much better.

-spence

·
Registered
47 Posts
Here are my 2 pesos that I would like to throw in...

If you do decide to get a Zegna suit, try on the Milano fit rather than the Roma fit... The Milano is built more for an athletic body type, has softer shoulders, and fits trimmer...

RLBL was also WAY too tight for me... The EZ Milano fits me perfect with minor alterations...

Typically at the end of each season, the Zegna stores will unload their wears for 40% off first and then 60% off...

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
They are pleasant but rather boring....great for interviews I think. Go for the Z Zegna it's for a younger customer and less conservative.

I find....and you may also if you like Dolce that the trousers are cut a bit too baggy for my tastes these days.

Not a bad option for your purposes. Could you not wear something like a navy Dolce though?

I am in the market for an "interview suit", and have been considering Zegna for quite some time. My tastes are rather trendy (I have a Dolce Gabbana suit now, and say what you will, that suit fits awesome!), but I realize I have to be a bit more restrained for a suit intended for business. That being said, I dont want to look like an old man (Im 28, in good shape, and want to look professional, but not dead, lol). How do Ermenegildo Zegna suits fit? I know the fabrics are great, but can anyone comment on the fit? Is it a suit that would flatter a more athletic looking, youthful person, or is it better reserved for the older more distinguished gentleman. Thanks guys!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.