Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, this election year I'm pretty disenchanted with both choices being presented from the 2 main parties. Being a young guy and a conservative Obama rubs me the wrong way, and McCain doesn't inspire conservative feelings in me either; so why not a little choice. What gets me is the lack of coverage of any other candidates than from the Reublicans and the Democrats. I know this is status quo, but I think it would be great to see some competition. It would be nice if the media would actually do its job and report the news and maybe even hint to the fact that we can vote for someone other than Obama/McCain. I consider myself a conservative but not a Republican and I think a great many people don't fall into the Dem or Repub only categories. Why not report on the Libertarians or the Constitution party just in the essance of full reporting. I think it would be great if we could go to the multiparty system and bring a little free market competition into the political arena. What do my fashion buddies think?

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
I honestly haven't decided which horse to back in the election, but Bob Barr does appeal to me on several levels. For me, Obama comes off as arrogant, unrealistic, and preachy. McCain fails to inspire, doesn't appear to have a grasp on economic matters, and has cozied up to the consevratives and religious right too much for my tastes.

I too find it frustrating there isn't much serious attention given to third party candidates. However, I don't blame the media in so much as I blame the candidates themselves. Whether its Barr, Nader, Perot, Stassen (the list goes on and on), none of them seem to take themselves very seriously.

As long as third party candidates seem content to play the part of spoiler (and not serious candidate), they won't succeed. There's an old adgae in sports that applicable here: "Act like you been there."

P.S. Barr needs to ditch the Xavier Cugat moustache!:icon_smile_big:;)

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree, most of them only have 1 issue to stand on and that just won't fly. Barr and Chuck Baldwin from the Constitution party have a great stance and they seem to be very well rounded. Money has a great deal of influence and the billions that Obama and McCain are spending is staggering and a small guy can't get a foothold. I also realize that the media thinks noone cares about third party candidates so they won't sacrifice potential revenue for the time they "waste" on these candidates. I wonder how many people in the US think they only have 2 choices, and how many understand they can pick from a number of candidates and even write in?

·
Registered
431 Posts
The real issue is the Federal Election Commission. The FEC is controlled by the two parties and it sets the threshold for admission to the elections by determining who gets matching funds and who gets to be in the debates. It is an inherently undemocratic agency at the heart of our system. The FEC is essentially a duopoly that keeps out all competition. As a consequence, any issue that both parties agree to ignore (election reform, Social Security Reform, tort reform, controlling spending, etc.) go unaddressed because it is impossible for a third party to bring them up.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
The real issue is the Federal Election Commission. The FEC is controlled by the two parties and it sets the threshold for admission to the elections by determining who gets matching funds and who gets to be in the debates. It is an inherently undemocratic agency at the heart of our system. The FEC is essentially a duopoly that keeps out all competition. As a consequence, any issue that both parties agree to ignore (election reform, Social Security Reform, tort reform, controlling spending, etc.) go unaddressed because it is impossible for a third party to bring them up.
That reminds me of something I read over the weekend in an editorial in The Week: the election is "not a matter of if you're going to vote for an elitist, it's a matter of WHICH elitist you're going to vote for."

·
Registered
105 Posts
I consider myself a libertarian and I don't think I'll bother marking the president bubble in this year. Barr doesn't impress me, I've voted for obama once and saw that my change was just more of the same, and mccain I find more or less as disagreeable as obama. It doesn't really matter anyway, I'm in Illinois. Our strong corpse voting bloc always goes democratic.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.