Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see guys who obviously spend a lot of time decorating themselves with the most expensive, elegant clothing, but their bodies are way out of shape!

Should't we spend as much or more time worrying about the "style" of our bodies as we do the style of our clothing?

·
Registered
816 Posts
I see guys who obviously spend a lot of time decorating themselves with the most expensive, elegant clothing, but their bodies are way out of shape!

Should't we spend as much or more time worrying about the "style" of our bodies as we do the style of our clothing?
Yes! At least I certainly do. Exercising is a huge part of my daily routine. For 3 reasons: 1) to look good 2.) to stay healthy 3.) personal achievement

However, that does not mean that someone with a heavier figure should dress poorly just because he is not in the best shape.

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
Many of us do spend as much or more time maintaining our bodies, as we do maintaining our wardrobes. Indeed, the return on our investment in clothing is somewhat curtailed if we grow out of everything, shortly after purchasing it. Personally, I spend an average of 12 to 14 hours, spread out over six days each week to keep things under control. Consequently, I weigh within 12 pounds of what I weighed when I graduated more than 40 years ago and can still wear clothing items that are as old as or older than my adult children! :)

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Just as important to your health is what you eat.

Exercise is important, but I have had friends die prematurely because of diet. No smoking and moderate alcohol consumption is important. A high-fiber, low-fat diet is essential to your well being. I have a friend who exercises religously, yet he has high-blood pressure and high-cholesteral. His high-fat diet keeps him overweight regardless of the amount of exercise he gets. I once read that eating a Big Mac and an order of fries would require a 7.5 mile run to expend the calories consumed. Getting rid of red meat, fried food, products which use egg yolks, shell fish, animal organs, butter, ice cream etc will improve your health and, consequently, your looks.

·
Registered
7,502 Posts

To quote dear old butch Oscar:

"When one is sick one shouldn't exericse. When one is healthy one doesn't need to" :icon_smile_wink:

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
For me I try and run at least five times a week with Spring upon us and daylight saving due its a lot easier. I find that both physically and mentally I suffer if I don't exercise, but diet is an essential component of any healthy approach to life.

I have been a Vegetarian for thirty years, but the main thing I think is your actual relationship to food too many people, here I include my self in the past, eat when bored or as a form of psychological comforting when stressed.

As for alcohol well I have never been a spirits drinker and these days the demands of a five day week don't allow me to drink every night, but then with a teenage son I don't think its a good role model and yes when younger I inhaled, and enjoyed it for that matter.

It boils down to finding is the right balance for your life and just getting on with it.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I agree very much that everybody ought to exercise; but can this simple question create a productive thread?

You may find this interesting:

TOKYO (Reuters) - An 111-year-old Japanese just named the world's oldest man said he owed his longevity to steering clear of alcohol.

The Japanese are among the world's longest-lived people, with 28,395 people aged 100 or above in Japan at the end of September last year, according to the Health Ministry. Researchers have attributed the phenomenon to factors including healthy diet and tight-knit communities

·
Registered
585 Posts
However, that does not mean that someone with a heavier figure should dress poorly just because he is not in the best shape.
And very often a heavy set or "husky" man who is dressed impeccably will look even better and more handsome than an in-shape man who is not dressed or groomed very well. I prefer seeing the former.

Examples that come to mind: the late John Gotti and his mouthpiece Bruce Cutler; Bernard Kerik (what is it with me and bad boys!? :eek: ).

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Many of us do spend as much or more time maintaining our bodies, as we do maintaining our wardrobes. Indeed, the return on our investment in clothing is somewhat curtailed if we grow out of everything, shortly after purchasing it. Personally, I spend an average of 12 to 14 hours, spread out over six days each week to keep things under control. Consequently, I weigh within 12 pounds of what I weighed when I graduated more than 40 years ago and can still wear clothing items that are as old as or older than my adult children! :)
Good point. I'm still wearing dress clothes I bought in Europe 20 years ago.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I was always in good shape, but at 6', 164lbs with a job literally in the middle of a frozen wasteland, I decided to start lifting weights and running again. Now up to 171 with some more muscle in the shoulder and chest, the down-side of exercising again is that the 4 suits I just had altered no longer fit me as well. I suppose it's a good problem to have, but if/when I stop lifting weights next year and shrink again (med school), I'll have the same problem again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.