Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am a big fan of Hugh Laurie's wardrobe on House, the expensive blazer and OCBDs, worn without any buttons done and nothing tucked, or a classic blazer over a rock and roll tshirt, the ivy league style mixed with "too busy being a genius/minding my own business to care" attitude.

But I am bad at identifying particular pieces in his wardrobe -- which stripes/colors, collars, fabrics, outerwear, accessories, etc he is wearing in any one scene.

Any discussion of this would be appreciated!

For instance, analysis of this look would be well appreciated:

https://house.wikia.com/wiki/File:HouseSeason_6.jpg

In particular, what is the fabric of his jacket? What style is the jacket? I do love how silky smooth and soft it appears to be, along with how sleek and modern it is.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Just looks like a Prince of Whales check sportcoat, or worse, suit jacket worn over a short-tailed OCBD like you can find under the BB Black Fleece, Lands' End Canvas, and LL Bean Signature lines. You know the rest.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I'm not impressed. His wardrobe advisor, or whatever they are referred to in Hollywood, is trying too hard to make him look cool and casual. Too affected. I think it is pitiful. I much prefer Dr. Marcus Welby!

·
Registered
595 Posts
This kinda made me think... I grew up in a family of, and was consequentially around plenty of other, academics. Most of them didn't dress this way, but did I see enough of this "I'm a hyperfocused genius" look, yet for the life of me I can't think of a single perpetrator who actually proved themselves to be above average intellect. Most were just riding the cliche' sidesaddle to justify being selfish, lazy, and tactless. Now, that kind of fits with House's character, but seeing the look in real life, and not on TV, it's kind of like seeing the rockstar look away from a rock concert; somehow, not as impressive.

Just my $0.02. I'm not condemning you for liking it, but the message of this look is "me, me, me, me, me." Not sure of that's what you want to say to the world.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
<HOUSEVOICE>So! These guys are criticizing a character for dressing in a way that MOSTLY makes sense, given that he's well-paid, doesn't care what other people think, and is on his feet a lot--plus he has a limp. Why are they doing this? Because they're IDIOTS! Also, because they don't watch the show.

But that gimp doctor ... interesting. He doesn't care what other people think, but he's posing for the camera. Which means either he DOES care--but we know he doesn't--or else he's humoring somebody. Now who does House humor? Any of you brain-dead wannabee doctors still with me? Cuddy! It's always about Cuddy. Which would also explain why he's wearing that oddly well-pressed and BORING jacket, with those too-long sleeves that will get in the way when he's scribbling on his whiteboard. That's the one thing that doesn't make sense. Why would a size 12 liver show up in a size 8 patient? Hellllloooooo? M-e-t-a-p-h-o-r? IT'S NOT HIS JACKET!!!!

Well, then, whose is it? Anyone? Honestly, you guys have the memory of a gnat. I just SAID it's always about Cuddy. So the jacket comes from her, and that means she's in a relationship with someone who's boring and a neat freak. And because House wants something from her, he agreed to wear that jacket for the shot. What does House ALWAYS want from Cuddy? PERMISSION TO DO A CRAZY PROCEDURE, THANK YOU, the non-idiot in the back.

So we know why the jacket, but we don't know whose it is. All we know is he's neat and boring.

Somebody go measure Wilson's arms.</HOUSEVOICE>

·
Registered
431 Posts
<HOUSEVOICE>So! These guys are criticizing a character for dressing in a way that MOSTLY makes sense, given that he's well-paid, doesn't care what other people think, and is on his feet a lot--plus he has a limp. Why are they doing this? Because they're IDIOTS! Also, because they don't watch the show.

But that gimp doctor ... interesting. He doesn't care what other people think, but he's posing for the camera. Which means either he DOES care--but we know he doesn't--or else he's humoring somebody. Now who does House humor? Any of you brain-dead wannabee doctors still with me? Cuddy! It's always about Cuddy. Which would also explain why he's wearing that oddly well-pressed and BORING jacket, with those too-long sleeves that will get in the way when he's scribbling on his whiteboard. That's the one thing that doesn't make sense. Why would a size 12 liver show up in a size 8 patient? Hellllloooooo? M-e-t-a-p-h-o-r? IT'S NOT HIS JACKET!!!!

Well, then, whose is it? Anyone? Honestly, you guys have the memory of a gnat. I just SAID it's always about Cuddy. So the jacket comes from her, and that means she's in a relationship with someone who's boring and a neat freak. And because House wants something from her, he agreed to wear that jacket for the shot. What does House ALWAYS want from Cuddy? PERMISSION TO DO A CRAZY PROCEDURE, THANK YOU, the non-idiot in the back.

So we know why the jacket, but we don't know whose it is. All we know is he's neat and boring.

Somebody go measure Wilson's arms.</HOUSEVOICE>
My focus is on Cuddy.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
When he's writing on his whiteboard, the sleeves won't be in the way, because they will "ride up with wear" (thank you, Are You Being Served?).

·
Registered
719 Posts
It certainly isn't business casual, but from a purely casual perspective I think that Hugh Laurie looks good in these clothes on the show. To me his signature is the narrow lapel sport coats (probably suit coats) over very casual clothes. I would like to know where he gets the sport coats, but they may be made for him by the shoes costumer. If you search the internet and that other fashion forum, you can find more discussion of his clothing with the hate it is getting here.

Love the show.

Cuddy sure, but 13? Wow! And Cameron - double wow!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
good responses

Lots of hating; yes. But thanks for the responses; I finally know that sport coat has a Prince of Wales check (or glen plaid it seems to also be called). From a distance, you can't really see the check pattern at all, it looks more like a heathered gray almost. But it seems from J. Marko the attitude changes to one that is a bit more positive (-: And I must agree with J. Marko, I do love the nice coat over the casual shirts, from tshirts to untucked OCBDs, which I read somewhere are actually stored rolled up in a ball before shooting to maximize wrinkes. In adoration, I ordered a must-iron OCBD which I have no intention of ironing.

Lastly, J.Marko, any links to that other forum with house discussions? (it is style forum, correct??!)

Thanks again! Please keep it coming.

--Sam Krupa

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Lots of hating; yes. But thanks for the responses; I finally know that sport coat has a Prince of Wales check (or glen plaid it seems to also be called).
Just on a side-note: Technically, Glen Urquhart (or Glenurquhart) plaid is the proper name for what is nicknamed "Prince of Wales check".

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I think the idea is to make him look like a successful doctor with the means to afford expensive clothing, who after years of impartiality, bitterness, and vicodin abuse,has lost the urge to wear his expensive clothing in a self-respecting manner. And regarding that look, House pulls it off very well!

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Actually this is much more in line with Hugh Laurie's non-House wardrobe:
Celebrities dress down and drive cheap cars in public to avoid being spotted. At home, we all know he wears exclusively his Jeeves and Wooster wardrobe.:icon_smile:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.