Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m looking to buy a lightweight navy Hopsack blazer to wear in the summer heat. BB only has Regent fit, that I can find, which doesn’t fit me well. I looked at Spier and MacKay but the measurements didn’t appear to work. I see O’Connell’s has on sale but didn’t really want to drop $600. Plus I was hoping to have one only partially lined (assuming that makes it cooler or is that a fallacy?). Anyone have a recommendation on a vendor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
47 Posts
If you don't mind the quality JCP has a navy hopsack blazer for $79.99. It is fully lined but it would be easy to remove the lining. Speaking of lining, skeleton lined or unlined is the best since it provides for the greatest air flow. Though partially lined is better than fully lined. Provided the fabric is an open weave so that a breeze can pass through.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you. I like the overall look and feel of BB's Regent Hopsack offering, but for some reason BB does not offer it in 41L and neither 42L nor 41L fit me in Regent. I really like O'Connell's Hickey Freeman hopsack offering but I hesitate to buy from O'Connell's not know how to translate my size there well and it is fully lined. I don't mind the price difference so much since it seems to be of higher quality (full canvas, horn buttons).

·
Registered
8,536 Posts
If you don't mind the quality JCP has a navy hopsack blazer for $79.99. It is fully lined but it would be easy to remove the lining. Speaking of lining, skeleton lined or unlined is the best since it provides for the greatest air flow. Though partially lined is better than fully lined. Provided the fabric is an open weave so that a breeze can pass through.
It's a lot of work to remove the lining because the insides would need to be finished. It would cost more than the price of the blazer itself to do the work necessary to un-line the back.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I got mine from Etsy, and had the trashed lining repaired. I ended up with an item I find delightful, at an all-in cost that was also delightful. It took much patience trawling eBay and Etsy to find the right combination of size, condition, style and seller reputation.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'd love to purchase one of the O'Connell's hopsacks, but the price tag is a bit too rich for me (even though they are on sale). I'd love to hear a bit more about the JCP hopsack that is available for $80. Does it look and wear like a terribly poor quality item, or is it something that is worth an investment of $80?

·
Registered
100 Posts
OP could look at locally at Raleigh Limited which carries H. Freeman and Samuelson as well as others. Could also try MTM/Bespoke at Jin Lee Master Tailor in Indy. He could get exactly the fabric he wants and it will fit well, though he is not cheap.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OP could look at locally at Raleigh Limited which carries H. Freeman and Samuelson as well as others. Could also try MTM/Bespoke at Jin Lee Master Tailor in Indy. He could get exactly the fabric he wants and it will fit well, though he is not cheap.
I knew about Lee but was hoping to not spend a fortune. I've never heard of Raleigh Limited; I'll check them out. Thanks for the tip!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,536 Posts
I always figured the seams were all serged in a lined jacket, or do you mean something else?
The inside of a lined jacket usually looks a bit sloppy, from what I have seen. Edges are often serged without being folded over, which they should be. In higher-end unlined jackets, the edges are better finished. It may not be possible to create a partial lining from a full lining. The way they are put together is different. You can't just cut a whole in the lining. The front parts need to be fully attached to the front. There's a lot of room for error when attempting this.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.