Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Connoisseur - Moderator
9,709 Posts
In a "non-dress" coat situation, I think they can be really worn. However, they are not the best choice if you are wearing a suit or need to have that "business" or "professional" appearance.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
It IS very trad but I dont really care for them. I would prefer a standard overcoat and umbrella or winter hat. You bring the hood with you and only use it 2% of the time most likely and it just hangs there off the back of your coat. Its also very vintage looking so for utility - maybe - but you can always stuff a hat in your pocket because I think it would look even worse with the hood up.

·
Registered
143 Posts
When its cold, its cold. I have been wearing an Eddie Bauer Superior Polar Parka over coat and tie to many many business meetings. Problem is this parka is no longer made and something that EB sells like it, is made off shore. Now I have the EB 50th Anniversary Kara Koram Parka, its made in China and seems OK but some of the design details are different and the neck seal is completely different. It remains to be seen if it will last 25 years as my orginal Kara Koram did(with two redoes by EB)!-Dick

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Im not a fan of toggles, but that is the idea. While no doubt trad, I dont like the toggle look for suited business attire, or, for that matter, my life in the NYC 'burbs. Its a style that goes with a life-style in my opinion and I dont see peat bogs and grouse hunting in my future.

I was thinking more like this look (best I could find on short notice)
https://cdn.overstock.com/images/products/L11193173.jpg

·
Registered
212 Posts
When its cold, its cold. I have been wearing an Eddie Bauer Superior Polar Parka over coat and tie to many many business meetings. Problem is this parka is no longer made and something that EB sells like it, is made off shore. Now I have the EB 50th Anniversary Kara Koram Parka, its made in China and seems OK but some of the design details are different and the neck seal is completely different. It remains to be seen if it will last 25 years as my orginal Kara Koram did(with two redoes by EB)!-Dick
I'm going with you on this one. I grew up in Northwest Wisconsin. I only left to go to university, and then moved here. It gets pretty damn cold. I'd take something to stand up to high wind and lots of snow rather than something that looks more proper. Then again, I'll generally choose function over fashion if it involves staying warm, dry, or a combination of the two.

I also do a fair bit of hunting when I'm back home, which is probably why I'd choose function over fashion.

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
The functional flaw in most modern hoods is a cost saving mesure.
Take a classic WW2 issue togglecoat- as wre sold not long ago in the UK. lay next to a modern Gloverall.
The service issue has a deep hood, the commercial a pancake.
You need the depth for:
1. Trapping warm air

2. The counterwieght helping to turn the hood with your face, not blocking slpatter vision.

The US military acquired several examples of Inuit parkas when we began designing our arctic parka.
They decided those 'ignorant natives' had put a lot of wastefull details and eliminated them.

The first units failed miserably in field tests.

·
Connoisseur - Moderator
9,709 Posts
I'm going with you on this one. I grew up in Northwest Wisconsin. I only left to go to university, and then moved here. It gets pretty damn cold. I'd take something to stand up to high wind and lots of snow rather than something that looks more proper. Then again, I'll generally choose function over fashion if it involves staying warm, dry, or a combination of the two.

I also do a fair bit of hunting when I'm back home, which is probably why I'd choose function over fashion.
I agree, unless I'm wearing a suit or sport coat to a situation where the hooded parka is just not dressy enough. I wear a hood a lot in the winter when it's freezing and I'm walking outside.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.