Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I finally got around to making some simple linen handkerchiefs. They could easily be used as pocket squares if they were smaller and I used a rolled hem. So has anyone ever made anything that they wear such as belts, pocket squares, or maybe a knit tie?

Blue Rectangle Sleeve Wood Grey

· Registered
842 Posts
I've had pocket squares made by my local seamstress. My wife and I peruse the selection at a fabric store and if I spot a pattern I like, we'll pick it up and get some squares made. The (reasonably priced) pocket squares I'm finding online and in stores are too small. I find they either slide down the pocket or worse, slide up and out! Larger squares don't have this problem because you can "anchor" them down into the pocket and there's still enough fabric visible. I do have some larger Kent Wang pocket squares but I like to have a large selection and this is a cost effective option.
ps. I'm obviously new here and you're likely hoping to hear from some seasoned members. But I got this idea originally from someone here on the forums a couple of years ago. I just can't remember which member it was.

· Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
While I can't claim to have made them, my wife made me a couple of sports shirts and does virtually all of my alterations. When wearing the shirts, I do not recall a single instance in which associates have even noted that they were not commercially made and bought off the rack. That's a good thing, I guess? ;)

· Registered
662 Posts
Today I finally got around to making some simple linen handkerchiefs. They could easily be used as pocket squares if they were smaller and I used a rolled hem. So has anyone ever made anything that they wear such as belts, pocket squares, or maybe a knit tie?

View attachment 20959
Nice straight hems. Looks good. If you are going to do more, you might attempt a hand-rolled hem:

I've done several alterations myself, including closing the vent on a jacket and taking out the back lining. When I'm wearing it, it looks original.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.