Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I need to know, How do you all keep your fine woolens safe from munching moths. I pulled out a couple of BB merinos yesterday and well, it's not good. Oddly,I have never had problems 'till now. Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

· Registered
464 Posts
Bad thread title. Drop the profanity!
While I may disagree about it being profanity (I understand there are different levels/perceptions) I do agree that the thread title is at best low class and could/should have been worded differently. Could a moderator please change/bleep it?

As for the OP:
1) Have them cleaned before storage.
2) store in a cedar box or in a canvas sweater bag with cedar blocks.
3) Buy acrylic :devil:

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks again for the suggestions. I somehow knew I would catch a verbal flogging for the title, so I apologize. (A hasty thought before leaving the house) Still, very good answers to my question. I thought too, that a ventilated bag was needed. Guess I just have to go that extra mile and lock them up good. Funny that acrylic was mentioned, because my favorite (10 yrs old) sweater is acrylic. The label fell off long ago, but it's still a great sweater. Hmmmm....

· Registered
2,865 Posts
Anywho, also be sure to clean anything that you're putting away for the season. Moths only eat wool when attracted by food, dirt or unused skin cells.
While this certainly explains mysterious holes on the front of sweaters, the moths that enjoy the taste of my Zegna MTM sportcoats go for the hems. Maybe they're being dragged through something when I take them off?

· Registered
335 Posts
God's Holey Trousers

The title is a line from Kipling, from his short story or novella The Man Who Would Be King, if memory serves.

I confess to wondering what people do if they are offended by the word 'crap.' Clearly, television, radio and newspapers are out of the question nowadays. One can avoid such language and buy vintage newspapers on Ebay, from a generation ago or more, but that does tend to undermine the newsworthiness of the exercise. Of course they could just be prigs who take pleasure in unnecessary objections, but on that I cannot judge.

If your clothes are stored in a drawer or a box, bay leaves or lavender keep critters away. So do moth balls (moth balls are small because so few of them know how to dance).

· Registered
1,240 Posts
Good God, "crap" is profane now?

Anywho, also be sure to clean anything that you're putting away for the season. Moths only eat wool when attracted by food, dirt or unused skin cells.
At one time it was along with a few other words that have made the transition from the locker room to polite society. Sometimes it is hard for me to keep track.

· Registered
625 Posts
I use cedar and plastic tubs, never had a problem, but it could also be that I've lived in Texas my entire life and never found moths in the house to be much of a problem anyway.

And, for the record, I found nothing wrong with the your post title. I thought it was funny, "holy" vs. "holey" . . .

· Registered
464 Posts
Hey guys, I need to know, How do you all keep your fine woolens safe from munching moths. I pulled out a couple of BB merinos yesterday and well, it's not good. Oddly,I have never had problems 'till now. Thanks in advance for your suggestions!
...And, for the record, I found nothing wrong with the your post title. I thought it was funny, "holy" vs. "holey" . . .
I must admit that my intial post in this thread was a little hasty. My response was based on the fact that my little girl walked in, read the title, and wanted to know what crap meant. :eek: I had wished to maintain her innocence for just a few more months. Totally missed the spelling of holey in my rush to judgement. :eek: My apologies.

· Registered
403 Posts
Dry cleaning will kill whatever's eating your clothing. I know dry cleaning is kind of a last resort for most here, but it's the only way to really insure no further damage happens, or that other items don't get "infected." Completely cleaning out your closet is also a good start. By "completely" I mean emptying it of all items and vacuming in all the corners and crevices, where light-fearing clothes moths like to hide.

Exposure to sunlight also helps. In addition to cedar, a small amount of cologne on each article is said to repel moths. There are also various pesticides, including traditional mothballs. They are all extremely noxious, and possibly carcinogenic. I would use these as a truly last resort. As for cedar- it mostly just repels moths, and only kills when very concentrated. It will also disperse and loose its effectiveness over time. So whatever you use- plastic bag, box or cedar chest, you better make sure it's virtually air tight.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.