Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Burgundy wingtips, such as the AE McAllister with chinos? I wear Brooks Bros Non-iron, Clark fit, creased, some have cuffs some don’t. Colors- British tan, stone, khaki. I usually find myself going for Dark brown shoes because of the versatility. Is the burgundy wingtip too formal for chinos?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
I usually wear loafers with chinos. Only lace-up shoes with chinos (for me) would be dirty bucks. Never oxfords, though. Full disclosure, I’ve always been primarily a loafer guy, even with wool trousers (tassel, bit, full-strap).

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Like @FLMike, I am a loafer guy. Maybe it's a southern thing. That being said, I wouldn't wear a balmoral with casual pants. It just seems sartorially incongruous.
What about saddles?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Just today I was wearing a pair of mahogany/oxblood wingtip derby boots with jeans, a tattersall shirt, and a tan Harrington jacket. I see nothing wrong with wearing a burgundy wingtip with chinos and think that burgundy is less formal than dark brown. I also don't like loafers or other slip on shoes. I am trying to expand my comfort zone by wearing boat shoes this spring/summer.

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
Like @FLMike, I am a loafer guy. Maybe it's a southern thing. That being said, I wouldn't wear a balmoral with casual pants. It just seems sartorially incongruous.
No slight intended to the beloved loafer designs in my collection, but how about a long wing design, such as the AE MacNeil for wear with chinos, denims, etc.? I am compelled to admit to having done so. :oops: Though I can also say, as the years pass, I seem to be turning increasingly to slip-on designs in my daily footwear choices. Could drlivingston and FLMike be bad influences on us young guys? :icon_scratch: LOL.

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
No slight intended to the beloved loafer designs in my collection, but how about a long wing design, such as the AE MacNeil for wear with chinos, denims, etc.? I am compelled to admit to having done so. :oops: Though I can also say, as the years pass, I seem to be turning increasingly to slip-on designs in my daily footwear choices. Could drlivingston and FLMike be bad influences on us young guys? :icon_scratch: LOL.
I'm just not an LWB guy myself, and I was just stating my preference. I think LWBs can work fine with chinos, though it seems that I've historically seen them paired with jeans more often by hipsters than by prepsters.

·
Registered
25 Posts
As a fervent supporter the of neo-prep wave, I see no reason that chinos and wingtips woudn't go together just perfect. I think they would go wonderfully, and easily with a nice neat pair of trouser-cut flat front pair of creased chinos.

They would also go great with a set of chinos that was non-creased, rumpled, messier pair laundered like a pair of jeans. Even for an apparent "prepster" like me :-D, this is the absolute far end of un-formal pants matching the wingtips go. It's kind of a nice idea to think you could wear them or something else maybe, but I think that's about as far as they go with out having too much formal/unformal miss-match.

With the "smart casual" office dress codes, and newer prep styling, you see a whole lot of formal shoe, slightly less formal outfit. It's a nice way to sharpen up your slightly less casual outfit with out wearing boat shoes every day.

For example, I have my AE Strands on right now, with some 100% cotton dockers, Bean shetland sweater, and and freshly ironed LE Hyde Park Oxford and it looks great, and even fits in a little with with what my less hip office mates are doing without scaring them completely (like a tie would, let say).

I distinctly think a lot more dress shoe flexibility is baked into neo-prep than the old most traditional of the gentlemen that post here would be comfortable. The only shoe I would actually reserve for dress-pants only are my cap toes.

Cheers to the traditionalists though! I might be doing it a little different than some people here, but I'm not worried about it. How you make something your own, that is the fun part.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
I usually wear loafers with chinos. Only lace-up shoes with chinos (for me) would be dirty bucks. Never oxfords, though. Full disclosure, I've always been primarily a loafer guy, even with wool trousers (tassel, bit, full-strap).
A agree Mike! Much more than Rancourt Ranger Mocs with Chinos/Khakis and I feel mismatched. To me, lace up shoes usually equate with "dress shoes" and should be worn with a suit and tie. I hardly even wear them with blazers or sport coats(even with a tie).

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Great replies by everyone. I appreciate the feedback. I’ve usually went with suede loafers with chinos. While recently I have paired light Brown oxfords (Strand) with chinos because I felt the lighter color and the broguing were informal enough. I now find myself always purchasing dark brown shoes because I like the versatility of wearing them with dress slacks or with a suit. For what it’s worth, I would be wearing oxford wingtips with chinos, a sport coat and a tie.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Great replies by everyone. I appreciate the feedback. I've usually went with suede loafers with chinos. While recently I have paired light Brown oxfords (Strand) with chinos because I felt the lighter color and the broguing were informal enough. I now find myself always purchasing dark brown shoes because I like the versatility of wearing them with dress slacks or with a suit. For what it's worth, I would be wearing oxford wingtips with chinos, a sport coat and a tie.

Today: BB OCBD, Bean Khakis, Bean Shetland, AE McNeil. I fail to see how something like the McNeil are not appropriate with Chinos. Isn't it basically a shoe originally intended to walk through bogs in?

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
Today: BB OCBD, Bean Khakis, Bean Shetland, AE McNeil. I fail to see how something like the McNeil are not appropriate with Chinos. Isn't it basically a shoe originally intended to walk through bogs in?
Sounds great. Keep in mind, the McNeil is a blucher-style wingtip, while the McAllister that Kendall asked about has closed throat lacing. While, as I said, I'm not a LWB guy personally, I think what you're wearing - chinos w/LWB - is a nice look. I don't think anyone suggested otherwise.

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Burgundy is quite versatile, I think. I used to do this once a week or so when I went into the office -- burgundy derbys with British tan slacks or chinos. Very nice.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.