Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forum Members: Anybody know where I might find subject shirt? Looking for super high quality crew neck short sleeve shirt to be worn under sports coat with jeans or even with tan or brown suit. I've done some Google searches, looked at Brooks and some other mid-level retailers with no luck.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Is there a particular finish or fit you are looking for? Are you looking for something thin or a bit thicker/heavier than an undershirt?

For good value, I like the Kirkland brand undershirts from Costco. They hold up well for at least 6-10 washes and are quite inexpensive (6 for $13). I don't necessarily like them under a dress shirt as they are a bit thick, but under a sport shirt or a v-neck they work well. My pet peeve with undershirts is the collar losing its form. Costco's do rather well in these category.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I think the OP was not looking for undershirts, but rather a dressy crewneck. That being said, Brioni makes a very nice crewneck (but pricey). Years ago when I worked at Nordstrom there was a brand called Axis that made a nice crewneck that could be worn under a sport coat as well. You may also want to consider Armani or Prada. Usually the more fashion brands would offer such an item in their line-up.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
If you're looking for a tee to wear directly under ....

a sport coat, Maus and Hoffman out of Florida sell a mercerized cotton, high neck tee which is quite nice. I think it is called the 'Romano and retailed for about $135. I got one last summer, and I can attest to its quality. M&H has a website, and if it can't be found, send a PM to Tom Maus (Flaoutlet). They don't have all their stock on their internet site.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Gentlemen:
Thanks to all of you and especially dfloyd. I just ordered a "Romano" from Maus and Hoffmann. Looks like a nice store - I'll make a note to stop in next time I'm in Florida.

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
Maus and Hoffman is a nice store indeed. I've been to the one in Naples. I asked them if they had any forward pleated trousers and they had a beautiful pair in light weight cotton with a nice high rise. The salesman was a bit surprised I liked them as he said he's been trying to get the product switched to reverse pleats.

·
Registered
921 Posts
I found Scott Barber to make shirts perfect for this situation. They are high quality "t-shirts" with a higher/tighter neck (not a mock) so they fit nice and never look sloppy around the neck. Since the necks maintain their shape, they also look nice under a V-neck sweater if you like that look.

They come in a variety of colors and wear very well. I believe they are around $40.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
No, we are not addressing whether it is proper ....

or not to wear a tee shirt under a jacket or not. The poster didn't ask for this. He simply wanted to know where to buy a high quality tee. Too many times we read into a post that the poster is seeking some advice he never asked for.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Fairway Green and Bugatchi both make high quality crew necks in a wide variety of colors that can be worn casually under a jacket. They are in the $70-90 range.

The highest quality crew neck in a mercerized cotton I know of for under jacket wear is a Wynn labeled shirt available from the Pro Shop in Wynn's in LV. They are $130. They hold up wonderfully well and are very well made. I have about 12 in various colors.

RLPL makes some nice Tees but I would not wear them under a jacket as they have tee shirt necks not crew necks. I believe the wider crew neck is necessary to make it work with a jacket. I did find some nice silk Tees with crew necks in SF near Union Square a block up from Wilkes Bashford's on the same side of the street. However I don't wear them nearly as often as the mercerized cotton Fairway Green or Bugatchi's or those from Wynn.

You are at the wrong end of the season to find any of these easily.

Try calling Celebration of Golf on Indian Bend in Scottsdale. They have both the Bugatchi and the Fairway Green sans Logos.

Perry

·
Registered
145 Posts
That is funny, I know exactly which salesman you are talking about. I remeber the conversation where he tried to convince me to switch. The forward pleat is a nice traditional mens style. I hope you enjoy the pant.

Josey, thanks for your business, hope you enjoy the t.

D, talk to you tomorrow.

Tom

Maus and Hoffman is a nice store indeed. I've been to the one in Naples. I asked them if they had any forward pleated trousers and they had a beautiful pair in light weight cotton with a nice high rise. The salesman was a bit surprised I liked them as he said he's been trying to get the product switched to reverse pleats.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.