Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents,

I'm a big fan of Hickey Freeman. I sent a friend to the Madison Avenue store in the fall of 2020 when he needed some suits, and the manager said that they would be moving suit production to Canada (Samuelsohn factory).

I'm seeing virtually all new suits, sportcoats and trousers are now made in Canada.

Can anyone comment on the quality of the Canada suits? I hear Samuelsohn makes great clothing, but I'm curious.

What is the US factory in Rochester making then? They sell themselves as the temple of fine tailoring, and US made, etc.

--Theoden

·
Registered
8,427 Posts
Samuelsohn makes great suits. I have no experience with the new Hickey Freeman suits they make, but the suits they make for Paul Stuart are better than the Hickey Freeman suits made in Rochester. Factories can make clothes to different standards, so going by one brand they make for doesn't mean much.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
The Canada-made ones are of good quality. Same as the ones made in Rochester.
I was surprised to see the MTM HF suit I got at Nordstrom last fall was made in Canada and not the U.S. In fact, I was sad about it as I take pride in wearing U.S. made products, and one of the reasons why I liked HF was because they were U.S. made.

Funny thing is, I mentioned to the Nordy's salesman that I was surprised by the difference in manufacturing location. When I picked up the suit a week later after minor alterations, I noticed the "Made in Canada" label was gone.

As I stated in another post, Divij Bespoke is of higher quality and a better price. Without the "made in USA" incentive HF provided for me, I'm switching to Divij for custom made. I'll still buy HF mainline if found off the rack at a discount.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Canada-made ones are of good quality. Same as the ones made in Rochester.
I was surprised to see the MTM HF suit I got at Nordstrom last fall was made in Canada and not the U.S. In fact, I was sad about it as I take pride in wearing U.S. made products, and one of the reasons why I liked HF was because they were U.S. made.

Funny thing is, I mentioned to the Nordy's salesman that I was surprised by the difference in manufacturing location. When I picked up the suit a week later after minor alterations, I noticed the "Made in Canada" label was gone.

As I stated in another post, Divij Bespoke is of higher quality and a better price. Without the "made in USA" incentive HF provided for me, I'm switching to Divij for custom made. I'll still buy HF mainline if found off the rack at a discount.
I called the Madison Avenue store and she told me you can request the MTM to be made in the Rochester factory. It just seems that the mainline suits are now made in Canada. Perhaps the Rochester factory is making clothes for another retailer?

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I called the Madison Avenue store and she told me you can request the MTM to be made in the Rochester factory. It just seems that the mainline suits are now made in Canada. Perhaps the Rochester factory is making clothes for another retailer?
I believe the Rochester factory is making clothes for O'Connells now that Southwick is no longer in business.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Thanks for the info. I'll have to find out when they are having a trunk show locally so I can go and see if they can make that happen for me.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I believe the Rochester factory is making clothes for O'Connells now that Southwick is no longer in business.
FiscalDean...I've heard that elsewhere. Can one just call O'Connell's to confirm that?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Gents,

I'm a big fan of Hickey Freeman. I sent a friend to the Madison Avenue store in the fall of 2020 when he needed some suits, and the manager said that they would be moving suit production to Canada (Samuelsohn factory).

I'm seeing virtually all new suits, sportcoats and trousers are now made in Canada.

Can anyone comment on the quality of the Canada suits? I hear Samuelsohn makes great clothing, but I'm curious.

What is the US factory in Rochester making then? They sell themselves as the temple of fine tailoring, and US made, etc.

--Theoden
Clothes I've bought made in Canada from BB top of the line have been excellent, far better, mainly trousers. I was stunned at the quality of fabrics and construction, wish it were still true at BB.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts