Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

So, I've decided to use Hickey Freeman in Chicago for my blazer. Does anyone have experience with HF MTM?

This blazer will be my main workhorse blazer. Any suggestions re: the blazer? Also, is it appropriate to get side vents on a blazer?

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
Hickey Freeman has a good reputation here for their MTM, though I have no experience with them. As for side vents, they are most appropriate on blazers. I prefer 2-button, but 3-button is fine. I also am fond of smoked mother-of-pearl buttons on blazers.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Another question re: my blazer. As this will be my workhorse blazer, should I stay at or under super 120s? From what I've been told before, for workhorse suits, you want to stay at or under super 120s. Am I correct to assume that it is the same regarding a workhorse blazer?

With that said, Hickey Freeman carries a lot of Loro Piana fabrics in my price range. Is there any particular line by them that I should inquire about?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Entry level LP fabric will be a serge, a very traditional suiting and blazer fabric. I have a basket or diamond weave in a 110s, w/side vents and navy blue MOP buttons + surgeon cuffs, albeit from Samuelsohn. I have one navy blazer and I can wear it four seasons.

If the blazer is going to get very heavy wear, then a superlightweight fabric might not hold up as well, not to mention they wrinkle like hell, too. Price will be your guide.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Hickey Freeman has a good reputation here for their MTM./QUOTE]

Actually, Hickey Freeman's MTM reputation on here is lower than Oxxford's MTM reputation on here.

And, Hickey Freeman's MTM reputation on here is about the same as, a little bit higher than or a little bit lower than Samuelsohn's MTM reputation on here.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hickey Freeman has a good reputation here for their MTM./QUOTE]

Actually, Hickey Freeman's MTM reputation on here is lower than Oxxford's MTM reputation on here.

And, Hickey Freeman's MTM reputation on here is about the same as, a little bit higher than or a little bit lower than Samuelsohn's MTM reputation on here.
Hickey's Freeman MTM doesn't start at $2,700.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Entry level LP fabric will be a serge, a very traditional suiting and blazer fabric. I have a basket or diamond weave in a 110s, w/side vents and navy blue MOP buttons + surgeon cuffs, albeit from Samuelsohn. I have one navy blazer and I can wear it four seasons.

If the blazer is going to get very heavy wear, then a superlightweight fabric might not hold up as well, not to mention they wrinkle like hell, too. Price will be your guide.
I'm willing to spend up to $1,500. The rep at HF said that at that price point I can get any of HF's fabric lines (including many Loro Piana) aside from two.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I have no expereince with H-F MTM other than the fact that the only times I've seen the program its been at a department store. We all know not to let any dep't store staff measure you; few know what they are doing.

I think the OTR stuff I've seen from H-F is really nice, though. Maybe your bet may be to wait for a trunk show. You should be able to trust the H-F staff to measure you.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Question: How do people think Hickey Freeman's MTM compares to BB's Golden Fleece?

I can get a blazer for about $1,500 from each and using similar fabrics (Hickey's normal line and BB's golden fleece). Which do you, o sages of the forum, recommend? If it makes a difference, I would get the H-F blazer through the H-F store here in Chicago.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.