Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alrighty, so I found out some more information on the pricing for HF's grad student program. It would be $995 for a MTM suit. Does that sound like a pretty good deal. This is supposedly $800 or so off of retail. Would people still recommend I check out Brooks Brothers 1818 or the Sameulsohn?

I've decided that I wouldn't do the Hickey Freeman Madison because I was told that I can't get the suit with FF trousers like I would like. Anyways, thanks again for any input you guys have. Sorry with my barrage of questions as of late by I am finding people's insight here very informative.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I'd recommend it over BB 1818 if it's within your budget. BB 1818 suits are very nice, but HF is fully canvassed while BB 1818 is 1/2 canvassed, and with MTM, you will be able to get solid navy and charcoal. HF is MTM and they have some newer slimmer models if that's what you'd be looking for, so fit with HF MTM should not be a problem, and, of course, you'll be able to choose some of the details such as whether you want a 3 button jacket or side vents on the jacket.

If I were you, however, I might would go try on some BB 1818 and Sameulsohn (fully canvassed, like HF) suits and see how they fit and get a sense about what's important to you. Perhaps you'll conclude that full canvassing isn't with the additional cost at this stage in your life despite what members here recommend, and you may get a sense of what fit is best for you. In any case, make certain that you buy something that fits you well.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Alrighty, so I found out some more information on the pricing for HF's grad student program. It would be $995 for a MTM suit. Does that sound like a pretty good deal. This is supposedly $800 or so off of retail. Would people still recommend I check out Brooks Brothers 1818 or the Sameulsohn?

I've decided that I wouldn't do the Hickey Freeman Madison because I was told that I can't get the suit with FF trousers like I would like. Anyways, thanks again for any input you guys have. Sorry with my barrage of questions as of late by I am finding people's insight here very informative.
It's an excellent deal. H-F is an excellent suit worn by CEO's and presidents.

If it's MTM, you should be able to get trousers in any manner available in H-F's style book. Or are the choices limited? Or is this a stock special rather than MTM? MTM should allow various styling choices.

Since you are building a career wardrobe go for a classic suit, such as navy or dark grey, and order a second trouser.

The HF grad student program sounds like an excellent promotion. Where is it publicized? I know two students who could benefit.

Thanks, and good luck!

·
Registered
1,387 Posts

That's a good price.

Just checking: It is Hickey Freeman, not H. Freeman, right?

If it's MTM, you should be able to get trousers in any manner available in H-F's style book. Or are the choices limited? Or is this a stock special rather than MTM? MTM should allow various styling choices.

Since you are building a career wardrobe go for a classic suit, such as navy or dark grey, and order a second trouser.

The HF grad student program sounds like an excellent promotion. Where is it publicized? I know two students who could benefit.

Thanks, and good luck!
Mr. Seitelman is the clear expert here, and I echo his comments. Certainly if this program is indeed MTM, you will be able to get any trousers your little heart desires. This is a super-basic option and the fact that a firm of H-F's caliber isn't allowing something this basic seems very fishy to me. That being said, I agree that almost any suit from H-F for $995 is a good deal.

Someone above mentioned H. Freeman. I don't own any Hickey-Freeman, but I get my suits MTM (indeed a very flexible MTM program at that) from the H. Freeman factory for much less than $995. H. Freeman is fully canvassed and quite a nice suit - I'd compare it favorably to any Hickey Freeman suit I've examined.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I'd recommend it over BB 1818 if it's within your budget. BB 1818 suits are very nice, but HF is fully canvassed while BB 1818 is 1/2 canvassed, and with MTM, you will be able to get solid navy and charcoal. HF is MTM and they have some newer slimmer models if that's what you'd be looking for, so fit with HF MTM should not be a problem, and, of course, you'll be able to choose some of the details such as whether you want a 3 button jacket or side vents on the jacket.

If I were you, however, I might would go try on some BB 1818 and Sameulsohn (fully canvassed, like HF) suits and see how they fit and get a sense about what's important to you. Perhaps you'll conclude that full canvassing isn't with the additional cost at this stage in your life despite what members here recommend, and you may get a sense of what fit is best for you. In any case, make certain that you buy something that fits you well.
While I understand that your response is just personal preference for BB, getting a high quality MTM for under $1K is a great deal. Will it hurt him to take a look at the BB and Samuelsohn? No. In fact, it could be a good learning experience. However, they will cost more than $1K. IMO, this deal is just too good to pass up.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Thanks, and good luck!
Here is the link to where they talk about on their website. All I did was send an email off and let them know where I went to school and somebody got back with me. Told me the dates they would be doing a trunk show on campus or if I wanted to buy a RTW suit I could order anytime.

They also offer shirts as well. I believe the price is about 120 for a non custom shirt and 195 for a MTM. I figured I could find shirts on sale for a better deal than that though.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
How much do you pay for your h freeman mtm that you claim is much less than the hf for $995?
The last one I purchased came to $800 after tax. 140s fabric, pick stitch, working cuff, additional pockets in the jacket, quarter-lined trouser with rubber inner waist band and cocaine pocket. The fit is spot on of course.

They also always come with a full compliment of extra buttons, belt loops, and button thread as well as a very nice wide-shoulder, lacquered wooden suit hanger.

I say that's a good deal.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks everybody I think I am going to do the deal. I definitely plan to go and try on some different brands of suits for such as BB and Samuelsohn's. It seems like there are plenty good suit shops in the SF area where I could really explore. If everything else being equal I probably will hop on the deal.

Oh and for the MTM grad program you can pretty much do anything that you want. The price changes somewhat. Anywhere from 895 to 1095 depending. I was just told 995 for the charcoal and navy blue I am after. Also, if I'm lucky every now and then they have an even further discount where you can get a MTM for 795. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
One last point:

Ask H-F if it is the same level of manufacture as the standard H-F sold in the H-F stores. I believe that it has been labelled or was called "H-F Collection." If that is the case, this is an excellent deal.

You should be aware that H-F has a bridge line which is often called "Limited" which is a lesser make.

Good luck.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.