Men's Clothing Forums banner

Hi, I'm wondering if this Dior tie I just purchased is real. I can't seem to find it online or listed anywhere. It said it was from Hedi Slimane Dior.

2K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  Sam Hober 
#1 ·
#17 ·
The tie does not look like anything I have seen offered by Sam Hober, but I agree that Sam Hober's offerings are attractive and represent good value. I think Chipp represents good value, too, but the offerings are more limited. Both Hober and Chipp are more likely to appeal to the habitués of the Trad board. I think the statement about developing your own style and going with it is ultimately what Ask Andy is about, but the advice offered is to help ensure that in doing so you adopt some tenets of thoughtful and attractive dressing. $120 may or may not break a given bank, but it seems awfully high for this tie. Many folks shop carefully and knowledgeably for used ties, and the prices are usually quite far below retail. I have yet to encounter a used tie that did not have at least a bit of tell tale oils from necks and aftershaves, and I have been less than impressed by ties that have been cleaned and pressed. Too often they get flattened, and while using high quality cloth is important, so is construction. The work that went into making a tie is easily obscured by a bad pressing. I don't agree that everybody and his uncle wears Sam Hober, but it is awfully popular here for good reason. There are other excellent lines in that $120 price range, but the ones I know of will fall into the Trad camp: Atkinson, Seaward and Stern, Breuer, and the store labels from places like O'Connell's, Andover, and Press. Perhaps a few members who regularly frequent Timeless Style can offer some brands that are more in line with current fashion.

#19 ·
Chipp ties are a good value and owned by a great guy who is very funny - I spoke to him once and it was a great pleasure. He also warned me ahead of time about a grenadine price rise...

My only regret is that he told me he is not going to write a book.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.