Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, what's up guys I'm new to this forum. I just turned 20 and have been starting to change the way I dress. Summer is coming up and I'm looking to invest in a seersucker sports coat. I have a couple of questions.

What's the biggest difference in a seersucker sports coat and a seersucker suit jacket? Could I just buy a seersucker suit jacket and make it casual?

Were can I go and get a casual seersucker jacket that I can wear with blue jeans and khakis?

Thanks guys, I hope you can answer some of my questions. I'm glad I found this forum!

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Hi, and welcome to the board. A seersucker suit, like a poplin suit, is actually something you can split into wearable separates without at all looking clueless.

I recently saw a seersucker jacket, I think in the 40R range, posted on this forum's thrift exchange -- so keep checking there; the deals are always good. Try eBay, too. Of course this requires knowing your measurements, and ideally knowing which brands tend to fit you well. If you have a jacket that fits you nicely, measure it. (Instructions for doing so can be found on Ask Andy's home page.)

And I don't tend to worry much about darts on seasonal items like seersucker and tweed. (People differ on this topic.)

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
Hi, and welcome to the board. A seersucker suit, like a poplin suit, is actually something you can split into wearable separates without at all looking clueless.

I recently saw a seersucker jacket, I think in the 40R range, posted on this forum's thrift exchange -- so keep checking there; the deals are always good. Try eBay, too. Of course this requires knowing your measurements, and ideally knowing which brands tend to fit you well. If you have a jacket that fits you nicely, measure it. (Instructions for doing so can be found on Ask Andy's home page.)

And I don't tend to worry much about darts on seasonal items like seersucker and tweed. (People differ on this topic.)
Yes, folks differ. I don't like darted seersucker. And you'll pay handsomely for the difference. Unfortunately, you've chosen the wrong time of year to shop. End of last summer, JAB was selling seersucker suits (darted) for around $100. You'll pay twice that now. The exchange here is outstanding. Ebay can be a crap shoot. Lots of sellers don't know how to measure. I got my finest suit, a Pressidential, from Ebay. My other two ebay suits, not so good. One had mismatched jacket and trousers, the other (seersucker, as luck would have it) had perspiration stains. I got my money back in both cases. Be very careful and ask lots of questions before you bid. And be picky. Like fish, there are plenty of suits in the sea.

If you're shopping for seersucker and you don't mind darts and price is important, go for the suit. It doesn't cost much more, and oftentimes less, than the jacket alone, especially off season.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts

I will differ with Joe on two points. Indeed, a seersucker jacket looks equally as good as an odd jacket (with non-matching pants) or as a suit. I don't believe that's the case with poplin suits. I don't like the look of poplin jackets with odd trousers. Maybe khaki with denim. Maybe. But other than that, I don't care for the look.

I also differ on the notion of darts with seasonal fabrics. In full disclosure, I think darts look bad on all fabrics, but I think they look especially bad on fabric patters with strong verticality, ie, stripes of almost any kind. The vertical stripes of seersucker emphasize the darts. Same with typical herringbone tweeds.

But actually, you could care less about that.

What you're looking for is a deconstructed, casual seersucker jacket. Check out J Crew.

JB

·
Registered
578 Posts
Magnum P.I.

I have a seersucker jacket (NWT by Polo - it is the one JoeB. references above) that is still available in the thrift exchange. It is tagged size 42 but would fit closer to a 40. Please check it out and let me know if you're interested via private message. It could be just what you are looking for.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
To clarify (I slightly misspoke), I don't mind darts on an already visually noisy field -- as most seasonal jackets tend to be. I find darts unsightly and distracting on a clean, patternless, smoothly textured surface. (Which is why poplin would be an exception to my "seasonal" statement.)

On my tweed jackets, you would have to play "find the darts", they're so far from evident. Too much other stuff going on, and the darts blend right in.

Padded shoulders is another story.

...I also differ on the notion of darts with seasonal fabrics. In full disclosure, I think darts look bad on all fabrics, but I think they look especially bad on fabric patters with strong verticality, ie, stripes of almost any kind. The vertical stripes of seersucker emphasize the darts. Same with typical herringbone tweeds.

But actually, you could care less about that.

What you're looking for is a deconstructed, casual seersucker jacket. Check out J Crew.

JB

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
My first advice would be to get a well cut seersucker suit. As stated above, it can be split up, or worn as a suit. And there is nothing better than wearing a seersucker suit to those hot summer weddings, christenings, or graduations when everyone else is wilting in their wool suits.

Or even to the King Kamehameha club with Rick and Higgins, I suppose.

If you really want to to go the cheap (J. Crew) route, I would say save your money and get a disposable jacket like the below at Old Navy. I think places like Target have offered seersucker as well. These are not sacks and are probably pretty poorly cut, but if you are just trying out seersucker, it could work.

https://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=11174&pid=634418&scid=634418002

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
My first advice would be to get a well cut seersucker suit. As stated above, it can be split up, or worn as a suit. And there is nothing better than wearing a seersucker suit to those hot summer weddings, christenings, or graduations when everyone else is wilting in their wool suits.

Or even to the King Kamehameha club with Rick and Higgins, I suppose.

If you really want to to go the cheap (J. Crew) route, I would say save your money and get a disposable jacket like the below at Old Navy. I think places like Target have offered seersucker as well. These are not sacks and are probably pretty poorly cut, but if you are just trying out seersucker, it could work.

https://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=11174&pid=634418&scid=634418002
Upon examination of the photos in the Old Navy link, I fail to see evidence of darts--do my eyes deceive me?:rolleyes:

hbs

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
If you're just starting to change how you dress, and you don't have a navy blazer yet, skip the seersucker for now and focus on the basics. You'll get a lot more use out of them. If you've got a navy blazer already, nevermind.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
I agree that these look pretty good. May have to take the plunge. On the darted/non-darted issue, I'd second the point about being vigilant on ebay. I just received a Lands End khaki jacket that I was positive wasn't darted, based on the picture. Opened up the box--darted. It was only $10 so not a huge loss but frustrating nonetheless. Maybe the Old Navy one can compensate.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I wouldn't worry about splitting them up. I have both, a suit and a blazer and I can't tell the difference between the jackets so you should feel free to break the suit up if that's all you can find.

For what its worth, that Old Navy blazer isn't Seersucker, its pincord. I've also heard it called pinfeather and pinwale. The stripes are darker and closer together and doesn't quite have the crinkled and light texture of seersucker. I prefer pincord myself, but to each his own. I just picked up a Nautica pincord 100% cotton number at Burlington Coat Factory with flat front pants for $115. They seem to have a lot of Macy's old stock FWIW.

I've worn the blazer with chinos, Nantucket reds, indigo dyed jeans, and twills and tend to feel like its a fun and carefree jacket you can dress up or down.

Both Jos Banks and Paul Fredrick offer Seersucker in separates on the cheap and depending on your size you could really score something better than the Old Navy. They aren't great, but they might be worth a second look. Otherwise Haspel is a seersucker household name and you can find their stuff online and at certain retailers in the $200 range (for a suit that is).

Good Luck!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I personally don't like the old navy jacket. Something like TDI's jacket is was I'm looking for. If i was a bit bigger I would of bought that. I'm glad I found the thrift exchange thread on here. I see myself buying a lot of clothes on here. Not sure if thats good or bad, we'll see. haha.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
I bought a seersucker jacket from J Peterman. It is about as heavy as a shirt, has literally nothing in the shoulders, is undarted, patch pockets, and working sleeve buttons. I bought my usual 38R and find it to be very trim across the shoulders. It was on clearance so cost something like $50-60.

I never wear it: seersucker is just too out there for Sydney. Maybe I'll put it on the exchange next summer.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
While out in suburbia today I stopped into Old Navy to inspect their jacket. Its pretty nice, I have to say. It is indeed undarted, lined through the chest only, and has just a tiny bit of padding in the shoulders--but nothing that detracts from its shape. I went ahead and bought the pincord one. I think its going to get a lot of wear as the weather heats up. I'm a 39R and the Medium fit pretty much perfectly.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I bought an olive-y green cotton jacket from Old Navy for something like $25, and really, really like it. It's an easy quick grab that looks good but not "too good". I normally wear an XL, but I bought the L size, and it has the trim, tailored look I demand. If you want a loose, "sacky" appearance, then I would think order true to size.

I'm buying that seersucker, and may grab the dark navy one as well. The more I wear jackets, the more I feel undressed without one, even if I'm just wearing a t-shirt, which is increasingly less and less. ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.