Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, what's up guys I'm new to this forum. I just turned 20 and have been starting to change the way I dress. Summer is coming up and I'm looking to invest in a seersucker sports coat. I have a couple of questions.

What's the biggest difference in a seersucker sports coat and a seersucker suit jacket? Could I just buy a seersucker suit jacket and make it casual?

Were can I go and get a casual seersucker jacket that I can wear with blue jeans and khakis?

Thanks guys, I hope you can answer some of my questions. I'm glad I found this forum!

· Honors Member and King Fop
6,032 Posts
Seersucker is inherently a rather casual fabric. I don't believe there is an intrinsic difference between a seersucker sport coat and suit jacket from the same material.

I think chemistry of fabrics with a seersucker jacket and jeans would somehow be "off." Jeans seem a little too rough and heavy for the lightness and delicacy of seersucker. I would also be chary of pairing a seersucker jacket with the darker shades of khaki although it should be fine with very light chinos.

A seersucker jacket in blue would look good with white cotton trousers in my opinion, but that combo might look a tad "costume-y" on a young fellow like you--better suited for an old buzzard like me.

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)

· Registered
232 Posts
Center vent seersucker suit coats are indistinguishable from seersucker sport coats, whereas side vents look like suit coats to me. That said, I wear seersucker coats with chinos or solid slacks frequently, and regardless of vents.

SRW

· Registered
1,240 Posts
Seersucker is inherently a rather casual fabric. I don't believe there is an intrinsic difference between a seersucker sport coat and suit jacket from the same material.

I think chemistry of fabrics with a seersucker jacket and jeans would somehow be "off." Jeans seem a little too rough and heavy for the lightness and delicacy of seersucker. I would also be chary of pairing a seersucker jacket with the darker shades of khaki although it should be fine with very light chinos.

A seersucker jacket in blue would look good with white cotton trousers in my opinion, but that combo might look a tad "costume-y" on a young fellow like you--better suited for an old buzzard like me.
I agree with what you said about seersucker suit and sport jackets. I believe that the same thing applies to tweed and corduroy jackets. These are the only three materials that I can think of where the suit jacket can easily be worn as an odd jacket.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.