Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After reading the thread about the USD vs GBP, I somehow found myself looking at Church's over at herringshoes.co.uk.... Anyways, the widths (fittings) range from E to H. The site says that a UK E is "Narrow" and corresponds to a USA "E", while an F is "Medium" and is equal to a "EE" in the US.

As someone that wears a fairly vanilla 10D in US shoes, should I be looking at about a 9 or 9.5F in Churchs? I am a little confused by the equating of a Normal/Medium width with "EE".

PS: Can anyone elucidate the various black captoe models? Leave it to an English cobbler to produce 5+ variations on plain, black oxford. I am looking for a fairly narrow shoe. Due to my thinness and height, but having small feet, I tend to prefer Italian shoes that visually elongate the foot.

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
Can't offer much except to say that the recent purchase of an Alfred Sargent country shoe is an EX fitting and it is ample for me who has worn both an 11D and an 11E in U.S. sizes depending upon last. Of course, it is a country shoe, and I've also read that Sargent's lasts tend to be generous.

I know the Pediwear site also has some conversion information if that might be helpful, and I recall it having been discussed here, if you'd like to try a search. Good luck!

·
Registered
403 Posts
In my experience an English F (insofar as Loakes are concerned) is a bit wider than an American D (insofar as Allen Edmonds are concerned. Loake F are also wider than Canadian Dacks (made my Cheaney D). But of course a lot depends on the last as so many have pointed out.

On the subject of Herrings, could I just say that they are a brilliant company to do business with. I would happily buy from them exclusively and having had a really bad experience with another Internet shoe seller probably will buy from them exclusively unless I succumb to excess and start to crave C&J shoes. Not that I feel I will do that as Herrings seems to have something for every need and whim.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I'd contact Herrings directly.

FWIW my experience is that Church's F is narrower than Loake F and most English makers regard Church's F as their E - this would be true of C&J for example.

However I have no experience of American sizing and whether as a US D whether you'd be OK with a Church F.

The 73 last was a snugger fitting last than the modern ones and so you might be pleased with the fit of that but it won't give y ou an elongated toe that you're after - for that you need Church's 108, 119 ( Herrings don't do this one) and 002

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I always thought that with UK sizes you always dropped down one full size, so that if you are a 10D, you would be a 9E in UK shoes. This proved true when I bought a pair of Jones shoes on Jermyn Street in 1996 during my honeymoon.

Now, I am a U.S. 10D.

However, iIn New York in 2007, I bought a pair of Crockett & Jones, the Connaught model, at Barney's for half price, $250.00. They were a 10D. (The C&J shoes at Barneys are sized for the U.S. market, hence the "D" designation.) However, when I went to the Turnbull & Asser shop on 57th Street, which is the only other place in NYC that sells C&J, the salesperson told me that I should drop down only half a size. She gave me a pair of C&J's classic "Chelsea" boot to try on and she was correct. 9.5 E fit perfectly. They didn't have them in the tan I wanted, so I did some research and ordered them at Bodiley's Northampton. Export price and free shipping! They even sent them registered mail. Unbelievable service. They even called me to tell me there'd be a delay because my size/color "needed to be made." So, when C&J tell you these shoes take 8 weeks to make, they mean it.

I think you have to know the manufacturer before you order shoes. I have a pair of Prada loafers that are an 8.5. Recently, I tried on a pair of Cole Haan Italian made shoes and I needed a 10.5.

What I'd like to know is what size I would be in a John Lobb. Nice ones always come up on ebay, but many sellers don't take returns.

If anyone has any experience with JL shoes, I sure would appreciate some pointers.

Also, are the JL shoes at Neiman Marcus U.S. sized, or UK?

·
Registered
269 Posts
+1
Whenever I have contacted Herrings they've got back to me very promptly and seem to have people working for them who understand shoes (and shoe enthusiasts!)
I agree. Often they will call you when you place an order for the first time just to be sure that you have it right. Also, if the size is not right, they will replace it for just the mailing cost.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I would like to add that my order from Herring's arrived promptly and well packed, along with a nice shoe horn and tin of polish. I ordered the Coltham model chelsea boot in brown. It is unlined in the toe area, but at 103 pounds, I cannot complain. It never really gets cold enough here in San Francisco to complaint about a lack of lining. Also, I once had a pair of suede brogues by Jones The Bootmaker which were exceptionally comfortable and were also unlined.

I found it difficult to find a pair of chelsea boots in a really nice chestnutty brown. This pair from Herring's is very nice. And, there is a rubber inlay in the sole to cushion walking. At age 51, and a tad overweight, I appreciate this.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.