Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
I have several jackets which fit around and lengthwise. The sleeves, however, are too long. I'm thinking of having them hemmed up, any thoughts?
Good idea.

No, but, seriously, make sure you wear the jacket enough to get a feel for how much each sleeve should be shortened. I've found it's better to tell the tailor than risk letting them measure it themselves. Also many tailors seem to want do the hem at an angle, but I prefer it to be parallel to the shirt cuff.

You could also consider having them baste the sleeve so you can see how you like it before it's finished.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have several suit jackets and sportcoats which fit around and lengthwise. The sleeves, however, are too long. I'm thinking of having them hemmed up, any thoughts?
I think proper tailoring is as important as the quality of the original garment, if not more so. If it's not properly tailored, you can still look like a bum in a $1000 suit.

I used to base my tailoring decisions on the cost of the garment, and would be reluctant to get any tailoring done on a jacket that I'd bought very cheaply. For example, I bought a store-brand blazer that was marked down to about $100 a few years ago, and although the sleeves were a bit long, just wore it. I always felt a little 'off' in that jacket, but was too cheap to invest the $25-$30 to have my tailor fix it because "it was only a $100 jacket". Now I only buy quality and I make sure that the garment is fitted properly.

[email protected]

·
Registered
302 Posts
Sleeve length is one of the first things that people will notice. I am always amused when I see pictures of dignitaries in the newspaper and their sleeves almost reach their finger tips. There is a range of acceptability. If your sleeves reach mid hand it is just wrong.
Unless, of course, their name is Ben Franklin, or there are even more high fashion things I don't quite grasp...

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Bent

None of my jackets sleeves fit correctly, so what would this range be? I was thinking between 1/4" and 1/2" should be showing when I am standing.
Tailors typically measure the coat sleeve length with the arm straight down at the side. That's fine, but I also like to bend my arm at a right angle and see whether the sleeve thus shortened by having to stretch over the elbow still reaches my wrist. I find that, if it does, and my shirt sleeve cuff is properly sized, I will show about 1/4" to 1/2" either bent or straight.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
A number of years ago, after my tailor hemmed the sleeves of my jacket to a length that we liked, he measued from the end of the sleeve to the tip of my thumb. He has used that measurement for all of my sport coats and suit coats since then. Now if I show too much or too little shirt cuff, it is the fault of the shirt and not the jacket.

For me, that measurement is 4.5 inches. It will vary for you, but I expect that it will around 4 to 5 inches. This method has worked well for me, but if there is a better way, I am sure one of the professionals on the board will let us know.

Cheers, Jim.

·
Registered
3 Posts
working cuffs?

Hello all,

my first post and I seem to have my login name misspelled.. I have been following this forum for a while and I have to say this truly is an excellent source of lot of information with great amount of good conversation!

I usually need to have my jacket sleeves shortened for around 1 - 1.5 inches.

However, how should the sleeves be shortened if the cuffs would be with working buttonholes? Should I just find such jacket with correct original sleeve length, or so that the hemming can be done before the first buttonhole will get on the way - or can and should the sleeves be shortened from the upper end of the sleeve and then sewn back to jacket as I think I saw mentioned somewhere? I guess this would require an advanced tailor to do this properly?

Mike, Finland

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Most well-dressed people wear their jackets with 1/2" cuff ....

showing with your arms held at your side. Your shirts must first be of the right length before altering your jacket. For example, I have one arm longer, which most people have, so I need to alter my rtw shirts before starting on the jacket. Your alterations tailor will then measure from your your jacket cuff to the end of your thumb to get the measurement for showing 1/2" of cuff.

I would not alter a jacket by removing the sleeve. You could run into more problems than you want. If the jacket cuff has working button holes, I would not buy it. these need to be put in after the jacket length is adusted correctly. A lazy tailor at BB, after taking measurements, had the working buttons put on before I had tried on the jacket for a final fitting. He didn't want to baste on the buttons to get everything right. I refused
to pay for the jacket! Of course he fought this, but I won. So a word of caution! Workingcuffs are nice, but you must go through another fitting to make certain the tailor has done his job crrectly.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.