Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you can see Holdfast is wearing the poppy which marks remembrance day. On 11th November we commemorate those who died in WW1 and the poppy is sold for the funds of the Royal British Legion who provide for those injured and killed in defence of our country.

The fashion question is this: I wear this in my suit buttonhole every day. Given the standard blue, pink, striped etc shirt, tie, suit formal wardrobe, can anyone think of a pocket square which is not either red (matches poppy but clashes with almost any other non-grey colour) or white (bit dull every day for a week)?

· Registered
3,915 Posts
The fashion question is this: I wear this in my suit buttonhole every day. Given the standard blue, pink, striped etc shirt, tie, suit formal wardrobe, can anyone think of a pocket square which is not either red (matches poppy but clashes with almost any other non-grey colour) or white (bit dull every day for a week)?
As you can see from my suit & poppy photos in the WAYWT, I've avoided pocket squares whilst wearing the poppy. Partly becauase I don't want to crowd out the poppy's message, and partly because it's actually quite refreshing to go sans-square for these couple of weeks.

Still, you raise a good question - the red & black of the poppy are so vivid that it's difficult to find a square to complement them whilst also meshing nicely with the rest of an outfit.

· Registered
861 Posts
Could I ask a related question please?

Is it appropriate to wear a poppy for an evening do? I shall be wearing black tie tomorrow evening and am not sure whether to wear poppy + pocket square, just poppy or just ps.

BTW I have had trouble matching a poppy to a pocket square too and have tended to avoid the clash by leaving out the ps. Having said that, silver, darker grey and yellow can be made to work I feel.

· Registered
3,915 Posts
Appropriate for formal dress worn at Remembrance Services (admittedly those are daytime), so I would guess also acceptable for evening formal events. I don't think you'd receive any complaints anyway, given the good cause.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.