Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning everybody,
I've had some trouble figuring out how to assemble my outerwear wardrobe.
I'm definitely going after a wool double breasted over coat: looks nice, keeps me warm through fall and winter 90% of the time.

I need to cover this area as well :
Skiing
Serious hiking during fall
Mid seasons
Cold temperatures and bad weather in urban setting (where my overcoat is not enough)
Having something to protect me from bad weather during summer that's easy to pack.

I'd like to hear your opinion about the minimum amount and the kind of pieces I require (was thinking 2)
Thanks in advance!
Kind regards

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Your activities are very diverse and narrowing down your selection to 2 items covering all your needs will be a stretch. Given your list, 4 seems more realistic. There are entire industries dedicated to each specific area you list.

Being that you are in Italy, Jack Wolfskin is a good place to look. They have a wide range of products that are multi-functional. And Harkila, is one of my personal favorite European vendors.

And remember, thoughtful layering can augment outerwear options.

Cheers,

BSR

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why would your overcoat not be enough for cold temps and bad weather in an urban area?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There are cold evening (few times a year) where I feel not 100% warm.
Also if I have to travel somewhere in Northern Europe the overcoat may not always provide me the right amount of warmth. Besides, if there's bad weather and I have to stay out for a lot, I'd rather have something that's water resistant to a certain degree

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
There are cold evening (few times a year) where I feel not 100% warm.
Also if I have to travel somewhere in Northern Europe the overcoat may not always provide me the right amount of warmth. Besides, if there's bad weather and I have to stay out for a lot, I'd rather have something that's water resistant to a certain degree
Understood. As BSR noted above layering would be your friend then. I've seen others recommend a Loden Coat for water resistance. That could be an option for one of your purchases. I believe Cordings has one that has a detachable liner for extra warmth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
236 Posts
“Bad weather” is a relative term. In eastern Canada, the minimum number of outerwear pieces I’d want is 3:
- down parka for truly bad weather
- wool overcoat for the rest of winter
- treated cotton raincoat with removable liner for the other three seasons

You may be able to find a “three-in-one” jacket that could be used for both hiking and skiing, but I would personally want separate items designed for those specific purposes.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your help!
I think i may go for a Goretex Shell (with detachable snow skirt) for skiing, hiking and severe rain storms.
I'd then rely on very good base and mid layer to keep me warm enough if the temperatures are also low, ore use it with a regular sweater if temperatures are not that high but there's a lot of rain.

If i don't want the sporty-technical look and i want to have some style, i'd like to find a casual jacket (no parka, something like a quilted or field jacket) maybe in gabardine, with some sort of waterproof that is higher than the wool overcoat. On that i would need full detachable lining, so if weather is too cold for my overcoat, i'd use that. And then, for spring or early fall , i would wear it without the lining.

Somebody suggested me Filson jackets from america, but i think the style is a bit too "old fashioned" and specific, also i was looking around the 300 € + range.

I like People of Shibuya Sensei field jacket, altough i don't know if the lining makes it warmer than my wool overcoat and i'd rather have a cotton with some texture (for style sake)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Since you want an overcoat, I'll start with that as one of your items, get in specially treated wool if needs to be waterproof, or just really thick if warmth is the concern.

Second item would be gore tex shell + soft shell combination. If you get cold easily you can add a down vest to this setup.

Unless you work outside, or spend great deal of time outside in -40ish temps you don't need a parka

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Since you want an overcoat, I'll start with that as one of your items, get in specially treated wool if needs to be waterproof, or just really thick if warmth is the concern.

Second item would be gore tex shell + soft shell combination. If you get cold easily you can add a down vest to this setup.

Unless you work outside, or spend great deal of time outside in -40ish temps you don't need a parka
I already have a wool overcoat, sir : it's just fairly water resistant, cold enough for 90 % of my time.

The shell is ok, but they usually have a style i don't like to wear in urban setting. Therefore, I need something else in addition

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh ok gotcha, how about a raincoat with removable liner? Gives you a nice piece for rainy summer days and cold/wet winter ones.

Two that come to mind that are technical but urban are arcterx veilance and Norwegian rain
Thanks for the suggestion :
The first ones are almost all coats, I'd like to change the style and move away from coats

The second seems to have technical stuff mostly

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.