Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While this is a common discussion point, I think my facts may be unique enough to warrant a new thread. I need help with what I will wear during the wedding and reception. I think the following provides the necessary facts but if more are required, let me know.

I am getting married in the middle of September, in the afternoon, in my fiance's front yard. It is not the usual front yard, though, because it is about 1 acre, has a pond, and is ringed in trees.

Furthermore, I am a man of limited means, so I would like to use one of the suits I already own.

Suits:
1) solid navy
2) pinstripe charcoal
3) black with a shadow stripe

I also have a really nice navy sportcoat with a light gray windowpane, but I can't imagine I would wear that with chinos or charcoal slacks.

Shoes:
1) Black J&M Wingtips
2) Burgundy Cole Hann Captoes
3) Black loafers (that I am sure you will all tell me not to wear)

Can I get by with any of these suit colors? If it matters, I believe that the wedding colors are going to be fall colors, (possibly red a gold, she hasn't decided yet). Thus, I imagine I will be wearing a tie in those colors. Moreover, she is talking about wearing an off white dress and thinks it would be a good idea for me to wear a shirt of a similar color.

If I must buy a new suit what color do you suggest? I am soon to be an attorney, I graduate in May, so I could stand to own several more suits but given the fact that I haven't landed a job yet I am trying my best not to spend money. Should I be considering a rented tux?

Additionally, if it is of any consequence, I am a big man. 6'8" and about 275 lbs. I don't have a big gut sticking out, but I am by no means slender. Furthermore, I have a light complexion with blond hair and brown eyes.

One last thing, I would like to wear one of my late father's linen pocket squares, if that factors in for any reason.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
You should NOT consider a tuxedo for any reason, rented bought or stolen. They do NOT belong at weddings and even in the US where taste seems to be dubious a mid afternoon wedding demands either a suit or formal day dress.

given that you are looking not to spend money unnecessarily then any of your suits would be fine. A flower in the button hole and a pocket square to suit your fancy.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I'm of the opinion that the groom need not coordinate with the bride unless you're both in uniform.

I'd pick the navy suit, white shirt and a nice colored tie. Wear the black shoes, but not the loafers.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I agree with Mitchell, I think he nailed it. In this economy, and you are getting married and haven't landed an Attorney job yet, I dont think you should start from scratch here when you dont have to. If you get the suit pressed, wear a good white point collar with a nice tie that works with the suit, polish the shoes and pop in the sentimental PS you should be just fine.

The remaining concern for you should be the accurate fit of said suit and matching trousers. If you haven't worn it recently look it over well and make sure you can button the middle or top button (if its 3 or 2 button) without a stress or tightness induced "X" forming, check that the jacket sleeves allow for about half an inch of cuff to show and make sure you get a one inch break in the slacks and that they arent too long. If you have a fit issue take it to the local tailor and have it dialed in just right, it wont cost much but needs to be done with a up to a few weeks of advance notice.

Lastly, if you like you might want to go with a white shirt that has french cuffs and wear either a pair of sentimental cufflinks or some jazzy new pair just to add a bit of "pop" to the outfit.

Congrats on your wedding and if you like post a picture of yourself dressed in the outfit before the wedding so we can all pelt you with our two cents some more !

/at 6'8" and 275 its got to be a real trick to buy clothes!

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I think any of the three suits would be fine, and also would be fine to start with for your new career. I'd skip the sport coat and rented tux options. Deanayer's suggestions about fit and good shoes are spot on. While it shouldn't be necessary to buy a suit, make sure you have quality, well polished shoes. You'll need them for your future job interviews, too, so don't skimp - plus they last for decades. French cuffs will add an element of formality to the outfit. Don't worry much about the cufflinks - no one who matters will notice anyway, and they won't show in the wedding album!

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Navy or charcoal suit, french cuffed white shirt, tie, black wingtips. I do not like the look of navy suits with black shoes, so would personally choose charcoal but you may like the look. Then pair with a suitable line pocket square, it should not be an issue and a suitable 'touch'

If you are getting a suit, a grey suit maybe in a more fancier cloth (super 120's), same with the shirt. Wear it for special occasions or on special nights out with your other half.

Off-white shirt can work too, maybe she thinks white is a bit boring for the special day and she wants something that looks different. If you are getting a new suit, get a MTM shirt with mother of pearl buttons, she may appreciate the effort.

Concering the dinner suit, it is should not be worn for an afternoon event; therefore, you do not need to worry about it.

Congrats by the way.

·
Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
When I got married I wore things that I already had with the only exception being that I bought a new tie. I opted for a navy suit with a pair of black lace up shoes and, like someone said, put a flower in the lapel and you will be fine.

Here is a pic from my wedding 25 years ago. I blotted out the little lady's picture because we are now divorced. Just one more reason to not spend a lot of money on a wedding. :icon_smile_big: Just joking. Here's wishing you all the best.

https://img518.imageshack.us/my.php?image=copyofscan0019x.gif

Cruiser

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just one more reason to not spend a lot of money on a wedding.
As the planning progresses it is becoming more apparent that my input on how much is to be spent on the wedding isn't very controlling.

Each of you mentioned that I should wear a shirt with french cuffs. I don't have one right now. Any suggestions where I might go (likely online since I live in SD) to find one for a 17.5/39 shirt?

·
Registered
804 Posts
While this is a common discussion point, I think my facts may be unique enough to warrant a new thread. I need help with what I will wear during the wedding and reception. I think the following provides the necessary facts but if more are required, let me know.

[snip]

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
While the other gentlemen here will give you absolutely spot on advice on what is technically and sartorially the correct thing to do, I'm going to give you advice that will focus more on what's going on.

Ask The Bride. Make it a dicussion. Find out what she wants and expects, and let her know what is technically correct etc. etc.

Then do what she wants.

It's really more her day than yours, and if she has her heart set on you and your groomsmen showing up looking like proper little penguins all in a line, then GET FLIPPERS.

If you have a rational discussion with her, and she is ok with you dressing in a proper suit and tie YOU HAVE A KEEPER.

Regards,
Petro.
:wq

·
Registered
804 Posts
As the planning progresses it is becoming more apparent that my input on how much is to be spent on the wedding isn't very controlling.

Each of you mentioned that I should wear a shirt with french cuffs. I don't have one right now. Any suggestions where I might go (likely online since I live in SD) to find one for a 17.5/39 shirt?
17.5 *39*? Wow. You're either a tall drink of water, or a gorilla. :)

You've got a couple months yet, you can try one of the Hong Kong/Asian MTM shirt makers. This is one example, I don't know if they're still getting acceptable reviews here:
https://www.jantzentailor.com/

Or take a trip to NYC and see of CEGO can hook you up--you'll have to make buy a couple shirts from him, but if you're going to be a lawyer you're going to use them anyway. (https://www.cego.com/)

·
Registered
205 Posts
You know. I just read this, and I had a slightly different thought. I consulted my wife for a second opinion and she concurred, so I'm going to go ahead and throw this out there. Even though it is a bit out on a limb, sartorially speaking.

You could go with the black shadow stripe suit in my opinion, with the black wing tips, and and white shirt with a collar and a black bow tie with white polka dots. Use the linen square with a straight fold. French cuffs if you can find them, otherwise, no worries.

Although, this may break a few rules in the ol' rule book, sometimes that can be the most fun. The line of thought here is that this is your wedding and a formal thing, and it merits a bow tie and the formal black. It'll look good in the photos.

Now, I don't disagree that the blue suit could look nice too. But I did want to throw out a dissenting opinion just to help keep your options open. Good luck!

·
Registered
916 Posts
Blue suit, burgundy captoes, white shirt and by all means your father's pocketsqare.

Really, wingtips? I'm just not seeing it for a wedding.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Sure wingtips, why not?

Although I'm aware that cap toed shoes are more formal than wingtips (I suppose because the holes were originally for functionality) to me they seem more formal, precisely because they are decorated and fancy.

I can see why they aren't as formal for business, because they are a little more festive. But to me, a wedding seems like a perfect place for details such as embroidery and perforations.

Just me, of course. Someone elsewhere on this forum referenced the scene in Field of Dreams, where Burt Lancaster's shoes turn into black wingtips, and that's what they make me think of, too. They have an elegance that suits a wedding.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Although I'm aware that cap toed shoes are more formal than wingtips (I suppose because the holes were originally for functionality) to me they seem more formal, precisely because they are decorated and fancy.

I can see why they aren't as formal for business, because they are a little more festive. But to me, a wedding seems like a perfect place for details such as embroidery and perforations.

Just me, of course. Someone elsewhere on this forum referenced the scene in Field of Dreams, where Burt Lancaster's shoes turn into black wingtips, and that's what they make me think of, too. They have an elegance that suits a wedding.
Then by all means go with the wingtips. By the way, love your Shadow sig.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Gee, all those suits sound fine to me, although I'd have to see the "shadow stripe" to be absolutely sure. No to the tux, especially since you don't have one of your own yet. I agree with the poster that said you shouldn't play matchy with the bride. Don't wear something that will clash, of course, but at least propose something original, and if your bride nixes it, then go with what she wants, I guess, or the wedding night might not go so well:icon_smile_big:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.