Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please don't chew me out for buying 12 D Cole Haan cordovan pinch pennies; I needed a standard, inexpensive loafer and JoS. A. Bank has them on sale. Just bought them Tuesday.

Wednesday evening I noticed that each toe front had a horizontal scrape on it, which I buffed mostly out. I figured I hadn't been thinking, and had been standing with bad posture and with a toe to the pavement or something.

Walked downtown today, when it became obvious that the front of the toe was scraping the sidewalk with every step. I tried to alter my strut, but to no avail: if I am to walk comfortably and un-selfconsciously at all, I'll scrape away---perhaps scraping a hole right through the toe, from the way things are looking.

What happened here? Shoes too small? Large? Right width but too short or long? Do I take these back to Bank? Tell them they fitted me with the wrong size? Obvoiusly they can't sell them new anymore. Is this common? Do I really need to alter my strut altogether? If I'm out of luck, what? Take it to the shoemaker for a fix? Try polishing it out first?

Thanks for the help, folks.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I don't know that I can tell you what is wrong, but I don't think you will be able to bring them back. This is why you should try shoes on carpet for a while before wearing them on pavement. Somehow your step with this shoes causes them to hit. I don't think that this is the stores fault. When they fit you for a shoe, they are making sure that the shoe fits on your foot properly. I don't think they are responsible for checking that your step matches the shoes. There is no way for them to determine that.

Try picking up your feet more.

Can you post pics of the shoes to show where they are hitting?

·
Registered
410 Posts
I don't know that I can tell you what is wrong, but I don't think you will be able to bring them back. This is why you should try shoes on carpet for a while before wearing them on pavement. Somehow your step with this shoes causes them to hit. I don't think that this is the stores fault. When they fit you for a shoe, they are making sure that the shoe fits on your foot properly. I don't think they are responsible for checking that your step matches the shoes. There is no way for them to determine that.

Try picking up your feet more.

Can you post pics of the shoes to show where they are hitting?
Perhaps he should consult the Ministry of Silly Walks.

To the OP, sounds weird on such a standard shoe. I have a pair of Cole Haan mocs with a sort of Canoe sole/leather/rubber combo. The toes have taken quite a beating. I have had them for two years and they are still ticking.

That Pinch Penny might not survive the abuse; however, I am not sure what you can do. Are the shoes not very flexible?

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will try to post a picture.

I asked the lady at Cole Haan in the mall what she thought, and she suggested that CH might repair them or take them back, though she seemed uncertain.

A clerk at Brooks today said he thought it had to be my strut (REBEL). (I didn't have the shoes on.) He said that the real person to ask was a shoe shine, as they know everything there is to know about such matters.

An aside--Also, it appears that ALL the new CHs have done away with the Nike Air "window", even though even the standard penny now has Nike Air technology.

And I DID walk around the carpet with them.

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
Does the scraping occur at the beginning of your stride when you flex your forefoot and push off or at the conclusion of your stride, when your foot reconnects with the ground? In other words, the cause could be in your stride or it could be the result of the shoes construction/sizing. ;)

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does the scraping occur at the beginning of your stride when you flex your forefoot and push off or at the conclusion of your stride, when your foot reconnects with the ground? In other words, the cause could be in your stride or it could be the result of the shoes construction/sizing. ;)
Eagle--

It's at the beginning of the stride, when I flex and push off. And it doesn't seem to be b/c my toes themselves are pressing the leather into the ground--if anything it's excess material.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Calvin,

You are my neighbor! I love living out in the county.

I'd say you are hosed with a bad shoe, unless the JB store will take them back. Are you a frequent customer there? Sometimes, if you are a regular customer, they will take something back in order to make you a happy customer.

My recommendation, if it fits within your budget, is to move up to Alden's Leisure Handsewn slip-on. Paul Haddock at Fairclough in Charlotte stocks "D" widths. The price starts around $350, but you will be happy with them. I have had a pair for six years, and just recrafted last year. Recently I also purchased a pair in #8 shell cordovan.

Lastly, if you need a shoeshine recommedation for Rock Hill, try Lee Shoe Repair in Loves Plaza off Cherry Rd. Drop off the shoes, eat BBQ at Burks, then pick up your shoes. Good stuff.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Beau,

Hello, then, neighbor.

My tendancy is to think you're right--that I've got a bad pair of shoes. (But then again, who would want to admit that they don't know how to walk?!?) I am a regular customer at RH JAB. In fact, when I have a hair-splitting gripe or an obnoxious request, I go to another JAB so as to appear more serious to the local JAB staff. I suppose some here would consider THIS instance an obnoxious gripe, but on a preacher's budget, it's a biggie for me and it's worth spending my chips on.

Which brings me to your Aldens. I was just at Fairclough yesterday, and was very impressed by the Aldens. But again: preacher's budget. Worse: Associate Minister's budget. The $100ish on sale CHs (or something in the ballpark) are going to have to do for now.

Thanks for the tip on the Love's plaza shoeshine and BBQ. (BTW, Do you know of a good barber in town?) Perhaps they'll be able to repair the loafers with some paste or something?

-Andy

·
Registered
758 Posts
The problem has nothing to do with the way you walk. Most likely it was the way the shoe was manufactured. I see this problem all the time. My guess is that the shoe was "blake stitched". If you put the shoes on and look down you probably can't see the sole of the shoe under the toe area. That means because of the "blake stitching" your foot is "rolling" forward past the sole. If JB won't help you bring them to a reputable cobbler and ask them to extend the tips. They should know what to do.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The problem has nothing to do with the way you walk. Most likely it was the way the shoe was manufactured. I see this problem all the time. My guess is that the shoe was "blake stitched". If you put the shoes on and look down you probably can't see the sole of the shoe under the toe area. That means because of the "blake stitching" your foot is "rolling" forward past the sole. If JB won't help you bring them to a reputable cobbler and ask them to extend the tips. They should know what to do.
Nick,

Delighted to hear that I'm not a shoe-killing walker. Thanks for the tip. I'll bring them by JB tomorrow and go from there.

ARS

·
Registered
43 Posts
Good info. I have a pair of AE Maxfields that have the same issue. I will ask my shoe man to extend the tips some as you recommend.

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
754 Posts
This sounds right, and seems especially to be true of shoes with thin soles.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Resolved.

Well, JoS. A. Bank sent away for another pair and said they'd swap them out, without any hesitation. Said that it shouldn't happen, but does happen from time to time. We'll see whether pair #2 is the same or not. Should be able to tell right away w/o leaving the safety of the carpeted store.

I'll probably go with another style--perhaps a captoe--if it looks like the replacement pinch pennies are going to do the same thing.

I was not entirely surprised, but was very pleased, with the no-questions-asked customer service. The clerks at my local JAB can be kind of dorky, chummy, and "American" in their approach, but I'm very happy that at the end of the day, they take me serious as a customer. On my rookie preacher's budget, this proves pretty meaningful, being as I'll probably be hitting up their daily "99.99% Off" sales (;)) for some time to come.

Thanks, everyone, for your tips and hypotheses. I'll update again when the new ones come in.

·
Registered
680 Posts
You must not have grown up wearing cowboy boots. I did and don't have too much problem with longer toed shoes because I'm so used to picking my feet up when I walk. Some of the new styles our store carries have long toe boxes that feel awkward to some men.

My only advice is to watch George W. Bush walk, then try to emulate. Or buy toe taps.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.