Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
]I bought a Hickey Freeman Presidential suit at a Hickey Freeman store last May. When I tried it on, the shoulders were smooth. No "divot" or "lump" from the collar to the sleevehead. Within six weeks, I'd developed a divot in the left shoulder. As seen below. The fabric is delicate; it's 180 thread count (too much, I know). As far as alterations, the Hickey Freeman lowered the collar; they did a lousy job and didn't lower it enough so I used a good tailor to fix that (along with pants that still brushed the ground after the Hickey Freeman alterations). I didn't gain or lose wait in that time span or take it to a dry cleaners.

(1) is there an explanation for why this would happen?
(2) is there any way to fix or at least minimize this?

·
Registered
974 Posts
Why don't you try going back to your good tailor and ask him? There may be something in the lining or padding (or possibly even the stitching) causing the dip. Possibly even a humidity change over time. I'm confident he'll have experienced the problem or one like it and will be able to remedy it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Advice Needed: The Dreaded Shoulder Dip

Why don't you try going back to your good tailor and ask him? There may be something in the lining or padding (or possibly even the stitching) causing the dip. Possibly even a humidity change over time. I'm confident he'll have experienced the problem or one like it and will be able to remedy it.
I moved to a much smaller city about 1,000 miles from my tailor so that's why I'm seeking advice from AAAC instead of asking my tailor. There is only one tailor with a reputation to handle a delicate job in my area, but I'd like to have some guidance from the more learned folks on this site so I'll be better prepared when I visit with him. Even if the first response was intended more as a subtle dig than constructive advice.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.