Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to spend $4k on suits, sport jackets, and trousers, and I want to make sure I'm not making a horrible mistake. Obviously, for this money, this is through one of the cheap clothing dealers online (Studio Suits). Yes, I know you usually get what you pay for, but since I am a writer and not working in an environment where I need to wow people with a $5000 suit (or even $1000), I am hoping the quality of this company will be good enough for my purposes (fit-wise, I plan to see a tailor afterwards for as many times as it takes). Basically, I want to look fairly sharp all the time (think Ryan Gosling's character in La La Land), but since most of the general public does not have the eye to notice the expensive differences, I don't want to spend a lot.

Below is what I am told my jackets and trousers would be made from. If you would be so kind, I would appreciate any warnings to stay clear from any of them. ALL jackets are currently with Bemberg lining.

Suits: 2 with 100% wool; 1 with 80% wool, 20% cashmere; 1 with 100% linen (an all-white suit I'll rarely wear, probably more suitable for something like a Gatsby event)

Sport jackets: 1 with 100% wool; 1 with 80% wool, 20% cotton; 1 with 90% wool and an unspecified percentage of micro rayon; 1 Glasgow tweed; 1 Pisa blue feather tweed

Trousers: 4 with 100% wool; 1 that is only described as "Napolean Melange Khaki Wool".

I appreciate your time!

·
Registered
6,593 Posts
Not regarding the quality, but fit.

Do not buy all those items at once. If you are going with Studio Suits, try one item first and get the fit correct. This will also allow you to get an idea of the type of materials they use.

I have a pair of trousers, one sports coat and a shirt from Studio Suits. The trousers and shirt were purchased first, then the sports coat.

Despite my adjusting the measurements after the shirt came, the jacket was unwearable and beyond alteration. The shirt is wearable, but not a good fit, and the linen is of such low quality that it is unusable.

The trousers took a lot of work by my tailor to make passable, but again the linen is so stiff, thin and poor quality, that I did better with off the rack from Macys.

The sports coat is made for a munchkin of material (supposedly Scabal) I wouldn’t dress my dog in.

All in all a waste of about $500.

Not being too bright, I tried my hand at online again with Natty shirts. While the fit was good, the quality was less than J.C. Penny Stanford.

Still undeterred I tried Picashirt, and am quite happy with their product. However I had a test shirt made first (which is their policy for first time buyers), and after tweaking, have been getting a good product.

I will never have anything made online that is more expensive than a shirt. I will not risk more than $100 for online MTM ever again.

Bottom line is that it is possible to get online clothing made. It will require eating your mistakes. You will find product lines that are garbage, and waste your money.

You will learn that low prices equate with poor products.
You will learn that P.T. Barnum was correct that “A sucker is born every minute”.
You will learn that you get what you pay for.
You will learn that there is no such thing as a free lunch.

Go in small. DO NOT DROP 4K in one sitting.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not regarding the quality, but fit.

Do not buy all those items at once. If you are going with Studio Suits, try one item first and get the fit correct. This will also allow you to get an idea of the type of materials they use.

I have a pair of trousers, one sports coat and a shirt from Studio Suits. The trousers and shirt were purchased first, then the sports coat.

Despite my adjusting the measurements after the shirt came, the jacket was unwearable and beyond alteration. The shirt is wearable, but not a good fit, and the linen is of such low quality that it is unusable.

The trousers took a lot of work by my tailor to make passable, but again the linen is so stiff, thin and poor quality, that I did better with off the rack from Macys.

The sports coat is made for a munchkin of material (supposedly Scabal) I wouldn't dress my dog in.

All in all a waste of about $500.

Not being too bright, I tried my hand at online again with Natty shirts. While the fit was good, the quality was less than J.C. Penny Stanford.

Still undeterred I tried Picashirt, and am quite happy with their product. However I had a test shirt made first (which is their policy for first time buyers), and after tweaking, have been getting a good product.

I will never have anything made online that is more expensive than a shirt. I will not risk more than $100 for online MTM ever again.

Bottom line is that it is possible to get online clothing made. It will require eating your mistakes. You will find product lines that are garbage, and waste your money.

You will learn that low prices equate with poor products.
You will learn that P.T. Barnum was correct that "A sucker is born every minute".
You will learn that you get what you pay for.
You will learn that there is no such thing as a free lunch.

Go in small. DO NOT DROP 4K in one sitting.
I figured going in small was probably my best bet. Even then, I am wary of the results. Thank you for the info!

·
Registered
14,999 Posts
I’m sorry as I have to admit I did not read the post. I stopped after reading something about pressing the buy button, followed very shortly by the figure of $4000.

There’s no way I’d buy 4 large worth of clothing online, sight unseen.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Nothing here to add but to second Momsdoc. I learned my lesson doing a MTM topcoat. The quality was excellent but the fit was subpar. The only thing I’ll do MTM online is shirts (I’ve settled on Proper Cloth). You can do a trial shirt until you get it right. Small investment and if you butcher a future buy, it was a small $ amount wasted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
One thing that stood out to me as terrible is a blend of 80% wool, 20% cashmere. Cashmere does not make up into suits well because it is too soft. Cheap cashmere likely means that the cloth will fall apart quickly. Be sure that the wool is not Super 130s or higher. High super numbers are fine when it is in high-quality fabrics. Here it means you're going to get a cloth that feels nice at first but wears out quickly. Good old 90s or Super 100s is all you should get in a cheap wool. And why are you getting a wool and cotton blend jacket? Those fibres do not blend well, and you won't be getting the best traits of either.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Cancel the whole order and save the inevitable agony when you find nothing fits or feels right. Instead wait until Joe Hemrajani of mytailor.com visits Vegas, make an appointment, and do this the right way. You won’t be disappointed.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I am about to spend $4k on suits, sport jackets, and trousers, and I want to make sure I'm not making a horrible mistake. Obviously, for this money, this is through one of the cheap clothing dealers online (Studio Suits). Yes, I know you usually get what you pay for, but since I am a writer and not working in an environment where I need to wow people with a $5000 suit (or even $1000), I am hoping the quality of this company will be good enough for my purposes (fit-wise, I plan to see a tailor afterwards for as many times as it takes). Basically, I want to look fairly sharp all the time (think Ryan Gosling's character in La La Land), but since most of the general public does not have the eye to notice the expensive differences, I don't want to spend a lot.

Below is what I am told my jackets and trousers would be made from. If you would be so kind, I would appreciate any warnings to stay clear from any of them. ALL jackets are currently with Bemberg lining.

Suits: 2 with 100% wool; 1 with 80% wool, 20% cashmere; 1 with 100% linen (an all-white suit I'll rarely wear, probably more suitable for something like a Gatsby event)

Sport jackets: 1 with 100% wool; 1 with 80% wool, 20% cotton; 1 with 90% wool and an unspecified percentage of micro rayon; 1 Glasgow tweed; 1 Pisa blue feather tweed

Trousers: 4 with 100% wool; 1 that is only described as "Napolean Melange Khaki Wool".

I appreciate your time!
Why do MTM online from the start? Is there some reason you won't go OTR? For most people that's a better proposition than the online firms and if you're not going to go the bespoke route your money might be much better spent with Spier and Mackay or Suitsupply and some time with your tailor.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,593 Posts
Spier and Mackey

4 suits $1100 - $1600, 3 worsted, 1 linen
5 sports coats $1100- $1500, 3 worsted wool, 2 tweed
5 trousers $450 - $550

Total cost $2650 - $3300 from a reputable source with easy returns. Fabrics from Bottoli, VBC, Angelico, Guabello, Abraham Moon.

Save an average of $1000, get known quality fabrics, buy a half dozen shirts, a couple of belts, and a couple of pair of shoes with the savings. You’re going to need those items also.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hi BLSolar!,

I'm sure the above recommendations are fine and I am not discounting the contributions of our fellow members here. However, I see you are in Vegas. Therefore, I would highly recommend you contact Gary Franzen. I have done business with him and will be doing so again as I couldn't be happier. Google him, he has a webpage with contact information. Before spending money on anything I honestly and sincerely can't recommend highly enough that you make an appointment (he is by appointment only) and go into his shop and meet with him. I am quite certain you will be glad you did. Even if you decide not to do business with him it will not be a waste of time as you will certainly learn a tremendous amount. I hope this helps!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.