Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received a very generous gift of a $100 gift card to LL Bean for my birthday. I don't have any specific burning need, but am always looking to supplement my wardrobe.

How would you spend it?

note: I'm also a lifelong fisherman who has always fished with a spinning reel. I'm considering trying flyfishing and I wonder if the money might be well spent on one of their flyfishing combos. Patrick - how's their quality for a beginner who just wants to putter around and learn the basics of fly casting by catching sunnies, 1 lb largemouth, etc.?

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Gladly.

I think their regular lambswool crewneck sweaters are really good and a good value at $59.

University stripe oxford cloth shirts.

Ragg wool socks.

Maybe some Maine Hunting Shoes...?

Danny

·
Registered
464 Posts
Anything to help. I am interested in the lambswool argyle cardigan in dark camel. Only $20 to go. Just have them mail it to me directly. :icon_smile_big:

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Bean is one of the few places that sells raglan sleeve shetland crewneck sweaters, if you're not a fan of the saddle shoulder.

They also sell flap pocket khakis and corduroys, which I think are a bit more helpful than the button-through pocket sort.

Their footwear is OK. A few unique items like Bean boots and blucher mocs.

Their barn coats, field watches, and chamois cloth shirts aren't bad, although you can find other companies making similar items.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
hands down

Go for the duck shoes first. They are incredibly versatile, as I wear them casually with jeans, all the way up to dress wear if I walk from car to office door on a snowy day. The low-risers allow a bunch of snow to get in, but they kick off easily, and they are my choice. Get the high lace-ups if you spend much time in the snow. Mine are 10-plus years old, and they look like new. Bill

·
Registered
119 Posts
We called them duck shoes as well. In the early 80's, there was a company called Sporto which made "the original duck boot" for women, (which was probably a knock off of the bean boot). They came in bright colors and had a duck on the logo. I guess the name caught on and became a generic term for both boots.

·
Registered
6,477 Posts
I just received a very generous gift of a $100 gift card to LL Bean for my birthday. I don't have any specific burning need, but am always looking to supplement my wardrobe.

How would you spend it?

note: I'm also a lifelong fisherman who has always fished with a spinning reel. I'm considering trying flyfishing and I wonder if the money might be well spent on one of their flyfishing combos. Patrick - how's their quality for a beginner who just wants to putter around and learn the basics of fly casting by catching sunnies, 1 lb largemouth, etc.?
Sorry, I just saw this.

I have an older LL Bean branded reel that has always been perfectly serviceable, and a friend of mine bought a LLB combo in the next bracket up from the $99 ones and that was fine.

For the price I don't see how you can go wrong with the $99 Quest outfit, and if you're looking at bass and panfish (as well as trout eventually) I would get a six weight.

Also LLB sets their reels up for left-hand retrieve. This is one of the single dumbest things in the known universe. Fly-fishermen who know what they're doing invariably retrieve with their dominant hand. If you are a rightie, you'll have to call LLB to order it set up that way. Trust me on this - you do not want to start off your fly-fishing career using your weak hand for reeling.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sorry, I just saw this.

I have an older LL Bean branded reel that has always been perfectly serviceable, and a friend of mine bought a LLB combo in the next bracket up from the $99 ones and that was fine.

For the price I don't see how you can go wrong with the $99 Quest outfit, and if you're looking at bass and panfish (as well as trout eventually) I would get a six weight.

Also LLB sets their reels up for left-hand retrieve. This is one of the single dumbest things in the known universe. Fly-fishermen who know what they're doing invariably retrieve with their dominant hand. If you are a rightie, you'll have to call LLB to order it set up that way. Trust me on this - you do not want to start off your fly-fishing career using your weak hand for reeling.
Thank you Patrick, and thank you to all for your excellent (and quick) suggestions.This is not going to be an easy decision. I think I might head on down to their store today (in MA, we're lucky enough to have 4-5 locations within easy driving distance of Boston) and I might just fritter away the afternoon considering the choices. Thanks, all, once again.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
We called them duck shoes as well. In the early 80's, there was a company called Sporto which made "the original duck boot" for women, (which was probably a knock off of the bean boot). They came in bright colors and had a duck on the logo. I guess the name caught on and became a generic term for both boots.
JJ, a great memory there.....we fraternity guys agreed that if she was wearing Sporto shoes in any design, she was probably hip and very good looking. We're talking late 70s/early 80s indeed.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.