Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, I keep bumping into Andy's Forum when I searched on Google on this topic. Second, I have exhausted all my knowledge yet still couldn't figure out the answer. So, here I am, asking for experts' help in identifying what leather this is. Corrected grain? Shell Cordovan? Thank you all!

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a pair of Loake that has very similar creasing and scratch pattern and they have lasted for more than 16 years after 2 resoling. They both need virtually no care except for brushing off. That gets me wondering how much more durable shell cordovan can be...

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
^^In answer to your question,
I have a pair of AE Leeds in #8 shell cordovan that have served me well for close to 40 years and they have yet to give up the ghost! I give them the "Mac" treatment before and after each wearing and apply Venetian Cream perhaps twice per year...to my mind, that's low maintenance. ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
And no crease? ;)

^^In answer to your question,
I have a pair of AE Leeds in #8 shell cordovan that have served me well for close to 40 years and they have yet to give up the ghost! I give them the "Mac" treatment before and after each wearing and apply Venetian Cream perhaps twice per year...to my mind, that's low maintenance. ;)

·
37,088 Posts
^^Shell cordovan footwear does not develop the micro creasing in flex points, as do most other hides, but they do develop their own unique, less distracting pattern of creasing consisting of a 'slow rolling' and less distracting distortions of the hide at flex points across the vamps of your shoes. This can be minimized by the regular use of shoe trees and the periodic boning (paraphrasing the character Roland Deschain in the Dark Tower yarn/movie; "let us not lose sight of the face(es) of our respective Mamas with the meanings we might choose to read into this term!") of our shell cordovan's. LOL. ;)

·
37,088 Posts
^^
In the Trad Forum there is a thread, Everybody's Favorite Game: Shell or Not Shell. That thread is filled with pictures of older pairs of shell cordovan footwear that exhibit the type of creasing I described. They also picture shoes made of other types of hides. Enjoy the hunt! ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Unfortunately I am too late into the game. Most of the links to eBay sales have expired. But still got some glimpses.

^^
In the Trad Forum there is a thread, Everybody's Favorite Game: Shell or Not Shell. That thread is filled with pictures of older pairs of shell cordovan footwear that exhibit the type of creasing I described. They also picture shoes made of other types of hides. Enjoy the hunt! ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.