Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a OTP dinner suit from Chester Barrie*, single button, no vents, peaked grosgrain lapels. Can you recommend a waistcoat, preferably in the UK to go with it please.

* I really wanted to have a dinner suit made this year but unfortuantely finances will not permit it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've checked Ede & ravenscroft. The white Marcella is very nice but I am concerned it is not "correct". If this is the case I might get it in the future as an alternative.

The black waistcoat online is indeed for morning suit not dinner suit as it has too many buttons.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
I was under the impression a white waistcoat was, strictly speaking, for white tie, not black tie. Is this correct?

For the record I wear a turndown collar not a wing.
IMO, for a white waistcoat to look proper with black tie, it needs a white tie shirt with a stiff wing collar. It's a more formal way to wear black tie. When wearing a soft black tie shirt with a turndown collar, a black waistcoat would be more appropriate. Oliver Brown sells one online: .

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
IMO, for a white waistcoat to look proper with black tie, it needs a white tie shirt with a stiff wing collar. It's a more formal way to wear black tie. When wearing a soft black tie shirt with a turndown collar, a black waistcoat would be more appropriate.
My understanding also (I apologies for failing to mention the turndown collar earlier).

Oliver Brown sells one online: .

Excellent that is exactly the sort of thing I am looking for. Now in these straightened times can anyone find something similar for a little less? Circa £100.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
It is backless though, they have a black formal waistcoat online for £125; they should have white formal waistcoats (not backless) in store.
Backless white waistcoats are the norm. You'd be hard pressed to find one with a back. E&R do not stock them.
From reading various other threads on this forum I've found that it is relatively common in America to pair a white full dress waistcoat with Black Tie, but this has been extremely uncommon in this country since WWII. I've certainly never seen it done. I think it's best to visit a tailor such as E&R and discuss semi-formal waistcoats with them. They should be able to give you advice as to which style would best suit you. I will in fact be doing something similar myself next week. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts

·
Banned
16,023 Posts
Would the barathea look right against the grosgrain, though? I think BB's is quite classy looking (though it could use a full back), but I was under the impression the silk facings should be the same type to look consistent.

·
Banned
16,023 Posts
Never take off your jacket, and nobody will notice you're wearing a backless waistcoat.
Doesn't matter. Backless makes it feel like I'm wearing a rental, like a pre-tied bow tie.

·
Banned
16,023 Posts
You don't have to agree with everything that he, Cary Grant, Fred Astaire, John F. Kennedy or any of the other best dressed men of the 20th century did. Thankfully we have that choice. ;)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.