Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

I'm looking for a British tailor. I'm currently wearing MTM Oxxford and odd suits I find on sale. I'd like to begin a relationship with a tailor.

What questions should I ask?
Are there off-Savile Row tailors worth looking at?

I'd like a jacket with minimal shoulder padding, suppressed waist, full canvas..

I've been considering Henry Poole and have read good things about the company.

Any other ideas?

Thanks

·
Registered
964 Posts
Hello,

You could also try AJ Hewitt

https://www.aj-hewitt.co.uk/House.htm

Stephen Hitchcock

https://www.stevenhitchcock.co.uk/

and perhaps Fallan and Harvey via Davies and Son.

Personally I prefer the military cut and so could be of much more use if that was the style you were after but hopefully this will give you some food for thought. I know Poole are renowned for their lack of house style and being able to adapt to their customers so I'm sure they wouldn't disappoint either.

Hope this helps,

Chris.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Steven Hitchcock is much better in price compared with Henry Poole. What type of house style does Hitchcock have?

I don't mind traveling to the UK, so they don't have to be traveling tailors.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Steven Hitchcock is much better in price compared with Henry Poole. What type of house style does Hitchcock have?

I don't mind traveling to the UK, so they don't have to be traveling tailors.
Hello,

Stephen Hitchcock is the son of the head cutter at Anderson and Sheppard and cuts a similar sort of suit as far as I know. I suggested him, Fallan and Harvey and AJ Hewitt as they all claim to offer a soft cut with a fitted waist. My own suits have very little shoulder padding as I have square shoulders which is lovely considering the look I require. However I do not have jackets with drape in them. If you like the same sort of look as me then I'd recommend that you consider Denman and Goddard and Benson and Clegg.

Another name to consider would perhaps be Tom Brown tailors/Brian Russell. Both companies have their suits cut by the same lady although Brian Russell's house style is a softer cut and Tom Brown is the more traditional SR style. The cutter Ms. Fadia Aoun trained with Mr. Russell (sadly now deceased) in the soft style and with the old military tailors Johns and Pegg so she should be very versatile. The prices are very good too- a Tom Brown suit would cost around £1760 inclusive of VAT or so I was told a fortnight ago.

This second link has pictures but the board is currently down for maintenance.

Hope this helps,
Chris.

·
Registered
150 Posts
My own tailors (Meyer & Mortimer/Jones Chalk & Dawson --same firm--) are around 2200 £ for a two-piece, 2600 £ for a three-piece (including VAT). I recommend them. They travel to the US (NYC, other cities?, I am not sure). Full canvas as a matter of course. I think the amount of padding would depend on your physique. They appear very conscientious and pleasant to deal with.They have a beautiful, traditional shop, with their own workforce.

Frog in Suit

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.