Votes: 20 54.1%
  • Alden

Votes: 17 45.9%
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process to clearing some of my personal shoes out. I have a pair of Allen Edmonds Shell Saddle shoes and a pair of Alden Shell Saddle shoes. They both fit great. The colors are vastly different. Vote for which one I should keep.

Allen Edmonds:

Alden:

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I like the barrie lasted alden better, just in terms of looks. Also the #8 color will age to a very nice chocolately brown color, something that will enjoy looking at years from now. But on the other hands, the AEs seem to be newer, and if you already have multiple aldens in #8, the AE burgundy makes a nice change.

However, my suggestion would be to keep the one that is the most comfortable of the two!

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
Having gone through a closet purging and seeing the two pair of shell cord saddles in question (specifically noting the color and design differences), I am inclined to recommend keeping both and therefore, did not vote in the poll. Getting rid of our beloved foot gear, throws us into an immediate and continuing state of angst and can get expensive as you go out and replace the shoes...passed on! ;)

·
Registered
619 Posts
If you are contemplating getting rid of either pair, seek professional help. They're both superb shoes and different enough to justify owning them. Add a wing to the house.

That said, the Aldens stay in a forced elimination.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well. I have a status update. Since it seems that results were close, 10/10 vote, I deferred to the wife. She liked the style of the AEs better. I didn't have a preference. I am hoping that the AEs will darken slightly with time. I have put the Aldens on eBay. I will post a link later (work blocks eBay). Free shipping if you mention AAAC.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Well. I have a status update. Since it seems that results were close, 10/10 vote, I deferred to the wife. She liked the style of the AEs better. I didn't have a preference. I am hoping that the AEs will darken slightly with time. I have put the Aldens on eBay. I will post a link later (work blocks eBay). Free shipping if you mention AAAC.
I just voted that you keep the Aldens. :devil:

Alden shell cordovan will probably do better on eBay, though.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
There's more to this story. How in the world did you wind up with two pair of nearly identical (and expensive) shoes?
I am a poor broke law student. I buy/sell these type of shoes to fund my own shoe habit. It turns out that I keep almost everything in my size. I just got a beautiful pair of Shell Alden for BB Wingtips (with the metal eyelets). I gotta figure out what to do with them as well. I may send them to Alden for a restoration and keep them. ;)

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
I am a poor broke law student. I buy/sell these type of shoes to fund my own shoe habit. It turns out that I keep almost everything in my size. I just got a beautiful pair of Shell Alden for BB Wingtips (with the metal eyelets). I gotta figure out what to do with them as well. I may send them to Alden for a restoration and keep them. ;)
Alden restoration does an outstanding job. Your wing tips will look new with a good looking patina

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.