Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am attempting to reinvent my image. I would like your guy's input on where to acquire some of the items I have listed below as well as the general vibe that the outfit gives off. This outfit would definitely be for more casual situations such as bar hopping and clubbing. I am located in Baltimore, a sartorial wasteland by all accounts, but I am willing to make a pilgrimage to DC or even New York if you guys can recommend good places to shop. To help you guys visualize the outfit better here is a mockup:

This is just one particular outfit that I think represents the look I am trying to go for. In short: the understated eloquence of the shirt/blazer combined with the rakish aspect of the cufflinks in combination with no tie combined with the jeans which give the outfit a more modern feel to it.

White shirt: from mytailor or bestcustomshirt. I have one from bestcustomshirt on the way and I am going to see a representative of mytailor on the fifth of next month. Most off the rack shirts are comically big around the waist on me.

Jeans: Levi 501s dark aged - have these

Blue Blazer(no bow tie) - I am not quite sure where to get this. I would like one to be made because again the off the rack blazers dont fit me at all. I would prefer it to be a more english cut as I hear this gives greater range of movement. Single breasted, double vents, high sleeve hole, etc.

Shoes: AE Park Aves or similiar in black or brown.

Watch: C&W C1, with the wristband matching the belt/shoes

Pocketsquare: have a few of these lying around.

Cufflinks: have these, there are some great ones on ebay. No one seems to want to wear them anymore.

Belt: Can you guys recommend some good quality belts in both black and brown. I really know very little about belts in general.

Again, any recommendations about where to acquire these articles or other clothes which give the impression I am going for are greatly appreciated.

Dapper Dan Man

· Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
I really like the jeans, navy blazer, white shirt combination; I wear this frequently for going out. At the same time I would not be a fan of the French cuffs, Park Avenues, and pocket square if you are going to wear the jeans with them. If you wear all three of those items the jeans would be out of place, and this is coming from a guy who wears jeans for at least a portion of every day of the year. You need more than just one item of traditional casual wear to balance things out.

For example, I would drop the pocket square. To me it just doesn't work with jeans, period.

I think French cuffs can be OK with jeans, but a crisp white dress shirt with a less formal cuff would probably look better, at least in my opinion.

Finally there are the shoes. While the PA's are OK, especially if you drop the pocket square and French cuffs; personally I think a less formal shoe provides a little edgier look. When I wear the jeans, navy blazer, white shirt combo my choice of shoe is the Adidas Stan Smith black leather sneaker. Like I said, it's a little edgier look.

After all, you don't want to look like you just put on a suit but decided to swap the suit pants for jeans. Your goal should be a nice fusion of dressy and casual with a good mix of each. Otherwise, I would skip the jeans and put on a pair of wool dress pants. :icon_smile:

Cruiser

· Registered
100 Posts
I think jeans with french cuffs is plenty doable. However, the links either need to be very subtle, or you need to do silk knots (cheaper, too, which doesn't hurt). Moreover, the jeans need to be dressy jeans. I don't consider myself a denim connoisseur, but I don't think 501s fit the bill.

I think it's doable, I just think your individual pieces need some fine tuning.

· Banned
16,023 Posts
Jeans with a french cuff shirt and links? its a bridge too far. Swap in some slacks. The Jeans kill the whole thing. Alternately go with a regular shirt and skip the cuffs and links.
+1

I can't say I care for the metal stuff on the loops of that belt. It looks a bit tacky.

· Registered
1,876 Posts
Blue Blazer(no bow tie) - I am not quite sure where to get this. I would like one to be made because again the off the rack blazers dont fit me at all. I would prefer it to be a more english cut as I hear this gives greater range of movement. Single breasted, double vents, high sleeve hole, etc.

Shoes: AE Park Aves or similiar in black or brown.

Belt: Can you guys recommend some good quality belts in both black and brown. I really know very little about belts in general.
I will resist the urge to explain what I think does not work about this outfit, because that's not what you asked. What you did ask was wheere to buy these things. If you are in Baltimore, all of the items you need should be readily available at a good department store locally. I would suggest if you must wear Park Avenues with jeans, go with brown. PA are widely available at Nordstrom, Bloomingdales, and similar mid-tier department stores. Bennie's Shoes in Atlanta (www.benniesshoes.com) sells them online at a competitive price. They are also great to deal with. You can pick up a belt (also AE) to match the shoes from the same place if you like.

Just curious, have you not checked any of your local department stores for this? They should be widely available.

· Registered
2,633 Posts
Seems to me someone as articulate as DDM, who knows exactly what he wants would know exactly where to get these items....sorry if I am cynical but it seems like some phishing going on here. Hope I am wrong. I have no comment on the said items as I see no reason to get hooked into what I perceive as a game.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I apologize for the the confusion caused by my post. I may have been somewhat unclear about certain things. I know where to get the majority of the things I listed. I am having problems finding a good tailor in the baltimore/DC area that will make a blue blazer to my specifications. I would appreciate recommendations for a tailor that will make me a single breasted, double vented blazer with a high sleeve hole and at least partial canvas lining. I would like to try this cut because I am tired of the american cut suit that makes me look 75 pounds heavier than my 180 pound frame should be.

Listening to your comments, I have come to the conclusion I got a little carried away trying to throw a pocket square into the mix as well as french cuffs. I will go without the pocketsquare and substitute silk knots for a more dressed down look.

Thank you,
Dapper Dan Man

PS: By all means feel free to critique the outfit. Iam by no means a fashionisto and I am still trying to learn how it all works. I am 22 years old.

· Registered
100 Posts
I'm not sure how much you're willing to spend, or how much it would cost, but I think a MTM Brooks Brothers blazer would work for you. I assume the store in Baltimore does it. You should go in an talk to them.

I agree with the previous posters that the Park Avenues, while a wonderful shoe, are not the right shoe for casual wear. Look for a pair of loafers. For the sleeker, more continental look, but still tasteful, Ferragamo might be a good pick.

· Registered
67 Posts
I apologize for the the confusion caused by my post.
I think it was a good post--you did a nice job of laying out what you are trying to do, including pictures! I dress like this a lot.
I agree with those who suggest ditching the french cuffs. As far as the shoes go, I would leave the Park Avenues for wearing with a suit to the office. Maybe some nice dark brown suede lace ups or some cool slip-ons from Santoni or Bruno Magli. A little tweaking and I think you are well on your way!

· Registered
100 Posts
I think it was a good post--you did a nice job of laying out what you are trying to do, including pictures! I dress like this a lot.
I agree with those who suggest ditching the french cuffs. As far as the shoes go, I would leave the Park Avenues for wearing with a suit to the office. Maybe some nice dark brown suede lace ups or some cool slip-ons from Santoni or Bruno Magli. A little tweaking and I think you are well on your way!
Agreed- suede brogues are a great casual choice, if you want to stick with a lace up.

· Registered
2,566 Posts
What are "dressy jeans"?
Jeans that are dressier, obviously?

For my part, I'd lose the shoes and go with something classic -yet- edgier like a Chelsea boot, or even a nice loafer or leather sneaker.

Lose the pocket square, and get a belt sans the metal bits on the loops. You can go for a wider belt, too, since it's really a casual look.

DH

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.