Men's Clothing Forums banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

· Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
My advice is to not pay more for a tie than you are comfortable parting with when a spill happens. I have bought many $100 - $200 retail ties on ebay for $20, which is my ebay price ceiling for bids on ties. There are more beautiful ties for sale on ebay than one could possibly scroll through.

I tend to favor vintage ties and Holland & Holland and Purdey. I also pick up a few from Jim Thompson when in Bangkok.

Cheers,

BSR
Sounds like excellent advice.

· Registered
18 Posts
The prices on many ties have become absurd! Sam Hober's ties are fine quality, but more sanely priced.

In your situation, I'd get one wine colored, and one navy. While I have a fondness for wool, silk is likely the better choice for wear with most suits, and can still be worn with sport jackets.

Grenadine ties are very nice, but have become a fad. Nothing wrong with those if you wish it, but other choices are just as nice. You could get solid ties, but I'd be more tempted to get each with a simple white of grey stripe to avoid looking too somber in less formal use. They still will be suitable for almost everything, and easy to accessorize.

A tie should look rich, knot well and hang straight. IMHO, all else is superfluous, which is why I see little point in 7-fold ties and the like.
Great advice

· Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
My advice is to not pay more for a tie than you are comfortable parting with when a spill happens. I have bought many $100 - $200 retail ties on ebay for $20, which is my ebay price ceiling for bids on ties. There are more beautiful ties for sale on ebay than one could possibly scroll through.

I tend to favor vintage ties and Holland & Holland and Purdey. I also pick up a few from Jim Thompson when in Bangkok.

Cheers,

BSR
That is a good point. Maybe I should just take some time and browse eBay for some quality ties. If I can't find what I want, then just go with Hober.

I am not worried about being boring. I wear ties to infrequently I don't think anyone is going to notice I wore that tie a month ago. I detest wearing ties so I won't be wearing one unless I have to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
42 Posts

Cheers,

BSR
^^ that with three exceptions, IMHO
plain/solid colour all silk/wool ties (especially with no poly interlining);
a specific silk (e.g., shantung, tussah, etc);
a specific tie from a specific tiemaker (e.g., Henry Poole's Cundey)​

The above might appear on ebay from time to time, but one must wait...

· Registered
8,548 Posts
^^ that with three exceptions, IMHO
plain/solid colour all silk/wool ties (especially with no poly interlining);
a specific silk (e.g., shantung, tussah, etc);
a specific tie from a specific tiemaker (e.g., Henry Poole's Cundey)​

The above might appear on ebay from time to time, but one must wait...
I agree. I never find grenadine ties in the colours I want for anywhere close to $20 on eBay. $50 is a good deal if I can even find what I'm looking for. It's even more difficult to find one in the width and length I want. I can always have tie crafters alter the tie, but it negates a good deal when I can get the exact same time brand new for the same price at Sam Hober.

· Registered
356 Posts
One of the best things about living in New York is the discount store Century 21, which has racks of designer ties for a fraction of the price. It may be worth considering going there or another discounter such as Nordstrom Rack of Off Fifth.

As far as types, I echo the selection of one maroon or another red and another navy. Try to pick a nondescript pattern that goes with everything and won't go out of style.

· Registered
6,593 Posts
If you're interested in solid wool ties to help make your outfit more seasonal, the have a look at these Shetland wool ties from Cordings of Piccadilly. Only 33.54 each. I'm tempted to get one of each.

Wood Tire Rectangle Automotive wheel system Automotive tire
Sleeve Synthetic rubber Automotive tire Rectangle Tire
Tire Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber Sleeve
Tire Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Wood Automotive wheel system
Tire Sleeve Synthetic rubber Tread Automotive tire
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Tread Synthetic rubber

· Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I found some solid ties at B.B. on clearance so I ordered a navy and red. We’ll see if they work. I am going to expand my collection at the suggestions here and grab a grenadine and another tie or two. Many thanks for the help.

Happy Holidays!

· Registered
107 Posts
I'm certainly not expert on buying ties. Like the OP, many of my ties were when I was buying a suit. I'm just now getting into buying ties on purpose. But, my biggest problem with ties has been how to hang them up properly. No matter what kind of tie hanger I use, they ultimately end up sliding off and onto the closet floor. I just need to build an extra room onto my house so I can display them on a table like you see in the stores. For some reason my wife didn't like this idea.

· Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I found some solid ties at B.B. on clearance so I ordered a navy and red. We'll see if they work. I am going to expand my collection at the suggestions here and grab a grenadine and another tie or two. Many thanks for the help.

Happy Holidays!

These BB ties are like cardboard. I guess there's a reason they were on clearance. I guess it's time to hit up Sam Hober and Chipp!

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.